Sign in with
Your question

Corsair tx650

Last response: in Components
August 22, 2012 3:58:06 PM

Hello,
and greetings.
I have just purchased a new Corsair tx650 for my HP Pavilion Elite HPE 910
It had a 460W power supply that thankfully still works. I've installed the new power supply and it appears to be working but the computer will not boot up. No beeps, flashes, or other visual issues. It begins to start, runs for a few seconds (no image on screen) and then turns off and try's again.
Any thoughts?

More about : corsair tx650

August 22, 2012 4:15:58 PM

Badaze said:
Hello,
and greetings.
I have just purchased a new Corsair tx650 for my HP Pavilion Elite HPE 910
It had a 460W power supply that thankfully still works. I've installed the new power supply and it appears to be working but the computer will not boot up. No beeps, flashes, or other visual issues. It begins to start, runs for a few seconds (no image on screen) and then turns off and try's again.
Any thoughts?

Oh yea, I read the Perform these steps. Also have checked the Corsair site and forms. Not much there.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 5:40:53 PM

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 6:08:03 PM

Rugger said:
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

That's what I thought as well. I went through the connections several times and still no luck. I have now put the old one back in. Trying to figure the issue out. Before installing the new one, I did update my BIOS. I also update (purchased Windows 7 Pro). Upgrade from Home edition. All was well.
Now it's telling me my copy of Windows is not valid. Weird. Time to get some help from Microsoft first. Still would love to get the Corsair to work, I have brand new video card just waiting to be installed.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 6:20:24 PM

Does it work with the old PSU? Can you test the TX650 with another PC?
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:47:21 PM

Rugger said:
Does it work with the old PSU? Can you test the TX650 with another PC?

Afraid to test on another PC. Sorry. It runs, fan and all. So I know it has power. Figured out on my own what happened to my Windows...wrong time and date. Must has lost it during the power supply switch. I've been to the HP forums quite a bit, all their techs say the TX650 should be fine. I'll keep searching for answers, I think I'm getting close.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 6:56:15 PM

If the PSU is good, then it should work in your HP. If it were me, then I'd breadboard it with a minimal build and see if I could get it to post. Breadboard: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...

Out of curiosity, what upgrades are you doing that require a 650W PSU?
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:01:24 PM

Rugger said:
If the PSU is good, then it should work in your HP. If it were me, then I'd breadboard it with a minimal build and see if I could get it to post. Breadboard: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...

Out of curiosity, what upgrades are you doing that require a 650W PSU?

So I am trying to install A EVGA GTX 680, also I have ordered new RAM but it has not arrived yet.
I'am very new to this forum, what is breadboard?
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:03:52 PM

Ah, I see. Laying everything out on a "table" and going through each system to find the issue. :) 

I'm going to reboot, and then give it another try. I'll be back on in about 30 or so min. Really appreciate the help. Thank you.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 7:27:45 PM

Glad to help :) 
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:42:09 PM

Rugger said:
Glad to help :) 

So I think I've found the issue but not sure what to do about it. It appears to be the 8pin (4pin seperated) cable that goes to the CPU. I can plug in the primary power cable (24pin) and the computer turns on and stays on. No other devices connected. None.
The moment I connect the 4pin power cable to the CPU it begin the on and off cycle. A quick power up and then a power down. About 12 sec. No beeps or grinds.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 7:59:27 PM

Are you sure the connector is oriented correctly and fully seated with the clip engaged?
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:05:06 PM

Rugger said:
Are you sure the connector is oriented correctly and fully seated with the clip engaged?

I believe so. Seems only one way it could work. The connectors are rounded at each end (square on 3 sides and a curve on 1). I've retested all the other components and the have power and are working ok. I'm beginning to believe the 12V CPU cord is gone.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 11:47:07 AM

The TX650V2 has an 8-pin EPS12V connector that splits into two 4-pin connectors (commonly called a 4+4 pin config). Have you tried using the other side of the 4+4?
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:59:31 PM

Rugger said:
The TX650V2 has an 8-pin EPS12V connector that splits into two 4-pin connectors (commonly called a 4+4 pin config). Have you tried using the other side of the 4+4?

I did, and one of the two pin has a slightly different shape to it. I went ahead and sent it back for a replacement. Figure I would try a new PSU (same brand and type). Should that not work, I'll get a different type, perhaps modular. I think the 12V CPU pin/cable may have been no good.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 7:02:06 PM

Good luck with the RMA!
m
l
August 23, 2012 9:04:57 PM

Actually, I bought it from Amazon.com. They are replacing it at no charge. I should have the new one buy tomorrow.
I'll see then if it's the PSU or my computer. I keep thinking it's possibly a voltage or amp difference with my APX socket. I've seen so many post where others have had issues with this PSU I'm beginning to wonder.
m
l
!