Sign in with
Your question

Error when installing 12.1 drivers for ATI Raedon HD 5450

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2012 10:25:51 PM

Hello, I've got a problem with installing the latest drivers for my ATI Raedon HD 5450. Ever since I tried to update them in February I've been getting an error message that says Error: INF file not found, this occurs when the setup gets to the display driver part of the installation. Upon closer inspection I've found that the inf file is indeed there and when I try install it though device manager I get "The Drive was found but encountered an error." I've tried installing it from scratch using the disk that came with it but that makes no difference. I don't know what else to do.

So if anyone has a solution, that would be helpful.

Thanks.
a b \ Driver
March 2, 2012 10:36:37 PM

Re-download the drivers from AMD and try again. It is very possible your original download was corrupted in some way. It happens from time to time.

Good luck!
m
l
March 3, 2012 7:30:27 AM

I've tried this many times and it makes no difference. Is there anything else I can try?
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
March 3, 2012 1:39:57 PM

Try this. Completely delete the ATI and AMD folders from your C Drive. Don't worry, they only contain the decompressed files for the AMD/ATI drivers you have downloaded. Then, download the current version and try again.
m
l
March 4, 2012 12:53:16 AM

Ok, I've deleted the ATI and AMD folders and then I tried to install again and this time it said the installation was complete but there was warnings in the log, I couldn't open the log for some reason, and now the CCC.exe will not open, so I believe the CCC didn't install properly, as I'm not sure if the drivers installed or not.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 4, 2012 1:41:24 AM

What version of Windows are you using and is it completely up to date?
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:36:31 AM

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and as I recall, I updated Windows then this started happening a few days later.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:42:46 PM

Ok, I've had a look at this link and followed the instructions, but now all that happens is it says the installation is complete but there are warnings in the log, and I still can't open the log file. CCC.exe fails to open aswell.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 4, 2012 4:16:13 PM

Does CCC fail to open before, after, or both upon restarting the system?
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 4, 2012 4:16:51 PM

BTW, what make/model of motherboard are you using? Does it have integrated video on-board?
m
l
March 6, 2012 12:57:23 AM

CCC fails to open at all no matter what I do. Umm, how do I check my motherboard model?
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 6, 2012 1:52:50 AM

Open the case. The info is usually stenciled on the motherboard. An application like CPU-Z (just google it) will also identify for you.
m
l
March 7, 2012 3:32:09 AM

Gigabyte Technology co. ltd.
GA-K8B Pro SLI.
Chipset - NVidia N4force.
SouthBridge - NVidia.

BIOS: Award software international. version F6. Date - 10/27/2005
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 7, 2012 10:09:43 AM

Do you have another video card that could be swapped into your system for troubleshooting?

If not, try this. Power the system down and remove the HD5450. Move the HD5450 to the other PCI-e slot. Power the system back on. Intent is to force the motherboard/Win 7 to reload the drivers fully.
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:12:34 PM

No I don't sorry, and ok I'll give that a try, the video card just comes out right? Or is it screwed in?
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 7, 2012 2:18:12 PM

Usually you have to remove 1 screw. Also, there is likely a retention tab/device on the PCIe slot to lock the GPU into place.
m
l
March 8, 2012 10:02:09 PM

I can't seem to find another slot to put the card in. should there be another on my motherboard?
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 8, 2012 10:50:59 PM

The motherboard you listed (GA-K8B Pro SLI) should have 2 PCIe x16 slots. Are you sure that is the model for your motherboard? Or, do you have another device plugged into the second PCIe x16 slot?
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:43:45 PM

Well I can see there is a black slot and a teal colored slot. Is the teal one another PCI compatible slot? By the way my card is currently in the Black one.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2012 12:05:39 AM

It is the size of the slot, not the color that matters.
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:21:13 AM

It appears that my card will not fit in the other slot, so it appears that I don't have another slot.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2012 10:22:31 AM

Understood. Then just re-insert into the original slot. The system will likely still detect a "new" card and re-install the drivers.

Also, you really need to verify the motherboard model.
m
l
March 9, 2012 9:21:37 PM

Ok, so to get to detect it again do I need to remove then start the computer then shut down then reinsert it? Well the model appears to be GA-K8N Pro-SLI.
m
l
March 10, 2012 8:33:30 AM

Well I've tried that and it didn't change anything. Uh, mine seem to lack the orange and purple slots and only has one black slot so I don't know, why it's different.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2012 3:18:26 PM

Do you have another video card (from another system) that you could swap for troubleshooting?
m
l
March 11, 2012 7:44:06 AM

No I don't sorry.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 11, 2012 12:53:07 PM

In the picture of the link I sent, the PCIe x16 slots are the blue one and the long black one 2 slots over to the left. There is a short PCIe x1 slot between them. Is you motherboard laid out the same way?
m
l
March 13, 2012 5:10:34 PM

It is, except i don't have the two purple and orange slots. I don't know why that is.
m
l
a b \ Driver
March 13, 2012 5:26:40 PM

Could be an earlier hardware revision of the same motherboard model. Is there a "rev" or "version" number stenciled on the motherboard?
m
l
March 14, 2012 5:08:37 PM

Not that I can see.
m
l
March 14, 2012 8:53:49 PM

if you look @ the slots on the broard it should have next to the slots pci-e 1 and pci-e 2. the other slots are pci and pci-ex1 are the small ones. the pci-e slots are the biggest ones.
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:29:04 AM

I know what slots are slots... I'm just saying it appears I only have 1 PCI slot. As for the Motherboard rev I can't seem to see it on the motherboard.
m
l
March 15, 2012 9:39:17 AM

If you get .inf file not found error message during the driver installation, then you must update your video card driver the old way.

When you try to install the driver by clicking on the .exe file you have downloaded from AMD, this .exe file is expanded to C:\AMD or C:\ATI directory. In this directory you have Support folder. Inside Support folder you have other folders. One is Packages. Inside Packages you have other folders. One is Display folder.

Now Go to Device Manager. Find your Display Adapter. Double-click the Display adapter or right-click it and click Properties. Click Driver tab and click Update Driver. Select Search my computer for a better driver. Now browse to C:\AMD\Support...\Display click on Display and then click update driver or Next.

This will install the drivers. You should restart your computer. After that, you should have overcome .inf file not found message problem. What you should now do is, reinstall the big .exe file you have downloaded from AMD. This will reinstall the graphics driver and the related other components, such as the Catalyst Manager.

This may sound silly to you. But this problem sometimes happens to me as well, Radeon HD 5770.

Note: CCC 12.1 is old news. Install CCC 12.2, the current driver package. After installing, CCC 12.2 reads 12.3 in the Software version window.
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:06:01 PM

I've tried that. All it says is "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while is attempting to install it" There is no driver selected for the device information.
m
l
March 15, 2012 12:13:13 PM

In Device Manager, remove/delete your graphics adapter, putting a checkmark in the box delete device driver. Restart your computer and try again.
m
l
March 30, 2012 10:03:44 PM

Hi there, sorry for a long time of absence.

Anyway, I've tried what you said Suat, and it still says INF file was not found.

So any other ideas?
m
l
!