Sign in with
Your question

Internet Random Disconnect/Reconnect

Last response: in Networking
May 15, 2011 1:19:44 AM

I've read through the forums and none of the other threads solutions to this problem have helped my situation.

When doing anything on my PC, gaming, browsing, whatever, I will have random disconnects for a few seconds and it will reconnect. I don't get the "your network cable has been unplugged" message, it just stops working for a second or two and starts working again. This has been happening for a few months after a fresh install of windows xp and I haven't really tried to fix it.

Every other computer in the house is fine except this one, it can't be the modem because a new one was installed a few days ago and its the same problem. The router was reset within the last week as well. I think the problem is with this computer alone but I don't know where to look. :) 

The problem didn't happen for a few days after I put a new network card in, but soon after it continued happening. I also have tried a few different CAT5 cables, even the XBOX one but nothing resolved the issue.

I run Windows xp on a relatively dated machine. (~4 years or so)

Any help is appreciated.
May 15, 2011 6:06:34 AM

Get into the BIOS of that PC and check for any Green LAN features. I had the same issue when I bought my (albeit newer than a 4 year old XP system) Core i7 920 based computer and turned on the Green LAN feature. Basically what it's supposed to do is cut power to the NIC if the BIOS detects that no cable is plugged into it, and also only supply it with enough power based on the length of the network cable if there is one plugged in.

It's a great idea in theory, but unfortunately seems to be quite poorly implemented across the board. It doesn't really save a whole lot of power either.

If you could though, please provide a bit more detail on what you mean by the network stops working for a second or two and starts working again. Does this only affect things like web browsing? Are you being kicked from any online games? Have you tried looking for updated network drivers for either card (since you mentioned that more than one NIC has been tried)?
m
l
May 15, 2011 9:45:56 AM

Without the GreenLan settings, I reckon just the Windows power management option could cause this if it's turned on in Device manager>Properties>Power Management tab.
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2011 3:37:55 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Get into the BIOS of that PC and check for any Green LAN features. I had the same issue when I bought my (albeit newer than a 4 year old XP system) Core i7 920 based computer and turned on the Green LAN feature. Basically what it's supposed to do is cut power to the NIC if the BIOS detects that no cable is plugged into it, and also only supply it with enough power based on the length of the network cable if there is one plugged in.

It's a great idea in theory, but unfortunately seems to be quite poorly implemented across the board. It doesn't really save a whole lot of power either.

If you could though, please provide a bit more detail on what you mean by the network stops working for a second or two and starts working again. Does this only affect things like web browsing? Are you being kicked from any online games? Have you tried looking for updated network drivers for either card (since you mentioned that more than one NIC has been tried)?

I'll try the bios thing when I wake up.
When it disconnects, it dc's everything. Firefox, Games, whatever is opened. I have tried updating the drivers. That is what made it work for a day or two.

And I've checked power settings and it isn't set to turn it off.
m
l
May 16, 2011 5:17:58 AM

Very odd... The only other thing immediately coming to mind would be to see if perhaps the port your computer is connected to on the router is dying? Try plugging your affected PC into another port on the router and keep an eye on it.
m
l
!