Looking for guidance on replacing a few things on stock pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afewquestions

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hi, so I've recently decided to upgrade a few things on my stock PC (but I am very short on cash). It's a Compaq CQ5320Y, here is a link to its SPECS from CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq-presario-cq5320y/4507-3118_7-34041472.html?tag=subnav

I would like to know if these items would be appropriate/compatible with the PC.

(2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM AMD Memory Performance Edition. (replacing original 2x 1.5 ddr3 ram sticks)

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Graphics Card

Antec Basiq 350 Watt Power Supply (EDIT) Corsair Builder Series CX V2 500W is now what I have decided to go with.

I am sure the ram is compatible, and pretty sure the GPU is as well. But I'm curious as to wether that 350w PSU will do the trick. I read somewhere that the required PSU rating on graphics cards is just to cover the PSUs that don't put out even half as much as advertised to. Please all opinions are welcome. But I'm already pretty near spending limit, so even $30-50 more is pretty much out of the question. Please keep that in mind when making suggestions.

The reason why i chose a slightly more powerful gpu is because i was looking for something in my price range that would play d3 on low-medium settings.

http://www.diablosanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?5987-Diablo-3-Unsupported-cards-Supported-Cards-List

That is a list of the supported and unsupported cards for D3.

Thanks in advance for your time.

EDIT I have decided to go with the Corsair 500w Builder Series PSU, but now I'm slightly over budget. Therefore I definitely cannot afford any price increase on RAM/CARD. Also I'm aware that there is 430w and it would probably work for my needs, but it is literally only $1 difference between the 430w and 500w (from where I'm purchasing at least). So that's why i went with 500

Solution
Don't use a PSU below the recommended requirements of a graphics card if you can avoid doing so. Those requirements assume that you don't have a bad PSU.

Also, there's no such thing as 1.5GB RAM sticks. Your computer has a single 2GB and a single 1GB stick. Still, replace both sticks with new ones. Maybe you can sell the old ones.

If possible, I would recommend getting something a little faster than the 6670. Maybe a 6750 or 6770?

The 6670 is not a powerful card at all (it's not a GPU, a GPU is a part of a video card. For example, the 6670 has a Turks GPU if I remember correctly). It is an entry level video card. It should do okay, but it wouldn't compare to a somewhat more expensive card (that is, if you can fit a better card in...
Don't use a PSU below the recommended requirements of a graphics card if you can avoid doing so. Those requirements assume that you don't have a bad PSU.

Also, there's no such thing as 1.5GB RAM sticks. Your computer has a single 2GB and a single 1GB stick. Still, replace both sticks with new ones. Maybe you can sell the old ones.

If possible, I would recommend getting something a little faster than the 6670. Maybe a 6750 or 6770?

The 6670 is not a powerful card at all (it's not a GPU, a GPU is a part of a video card. For example, the 6670 has a Turks GPU if I remember correctly). It is an entry level video card. It should do okay, but it wouldn't compare to a somewhat more expensive card (that is, if you can fit a better card in your budget). If you can't fit such cards, then maybe you can go for an older card. Older cards can provide more performance for the money, so they are often better buys for low budget systems.

Solution

afewquestions

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Ah thank you, that was a very informative response.

The only reason I wanna go for the 6670 is because its $70ish and where I'm buying my card from the 6750 and 6770 are both upwards of $120-$150.

Do you maybe have a suggestion of some "older cards". Also, would you be able to point me to a good PSU for my computer based on the 6670?

It would be very helpful and thank you again.

P.S. The older suggestions would still need to support D3 on low-medium setting. (refer to previous post for link of supported cards) :D

The 6750 is $90 and the 6770 is $100 to $115 if you go to newegg for the well-priced models. $120 to $135 is the 6850's price range and $145 to $170ish is the Radeon 6870's price range.

I'd get at least a 400w with the 6670, if not a 450w to 500w just to be safe and leave a little upgrade room.

Some older cards that you could consider would include the GTX 460, the Radeon 5770, the Radeon 5830, the GTX 465, the GTX 470, or even DX10/10.1 cards such as a Radeon 4850X2 or a GTX 285.

Status
Not open for further replies.