I'm attempting to connect (3) 30'' monitors (at 2550x1600 max resolution) to an XFX HD5950 Black Edition Limited video card.
I have 3 Accell Active MiniDP to DVI converters. While it worked for the first 5 minutes at max resolution on all 3 monitors... when I changed the desktop background image as a test, the system collapsed, reporting a "DisplayLink Failure" error message, along with blacked out screens, with one screen coming back online at lower resolution.
At one point I also got a "DisplayPort Low Power Error" message as well. Searches around the web have demonstrated that this is an established issue... though I haven't seen any actual solutions. Not only that, but I'm very perplexed (not to mention frustrated and worried) that I am even using AMD-stamped Accell adaptors which are designed for this very purpose...
I have attempted:
1. Restarting the machine (this allows me to get the monitor(s) to come back on with the error message, but doesn't 'fix' the problem.
2. Moving the USB power cables for the Accell adaptors to different USB ports (MoBo is EVGA X58 SLi 3x) believing it was a power-related issue with low/high power USB ports.
3. Connecting the MiniDP adaptors to different ports on the video card, which has 6 total for so-called Eyefinity.
4. Ensured the graphics card is in the x16 PCI slot.
5. Temperatures are all far below even normal idle, and the CPU/SB is liquid cooled and not overclocked (yet).
I'm not sure what else I should be looking at... I hope my almost $5000 worth of gpu and monitors... are not useless...
If anyone has any suggestions... they'd be much appreciated.
But then the thread was closed so I couldn't reply...
According to all the information I've read on AMDs website, supported by that help guide - I should have no problem running 3 ACTIVE adapters (which are MiniDP to DVI) since as it notes on AMD's website:
• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used). • Approved “active” adapters have no general connectivity restrictions with AMD Eyefinity technology.
I have Eyefinity 6, and while technically one can only have 2 DVI connections... I'm running 3 MiniDP connections... which happen to have adapters to DVI.
Besides this though, even running two monitors are producing the flickering/instability/MiniDP link failure issues anyway... I'm sure people must have connected 3 30" monitors to this card... I just haven't found any... OR they used MiniDP capable monitors...