Sign in with
Your question

What to do with Dell Dimension 4700?

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2012 4:41:44 PM

Hey I have an outdated Dell Dimension 4700 just laying around, and I have no idea what to do with it... I'm trying to save up for a gaming pc so I need some extra cash..

I can post specs If ya'll need them but there just default, as i haven't added anything to them..

More about : dell dimension 4700

August 22, 2012 5:10:19 PM

Specs?
m
l
August 22, 2012 5:43:01 PM

3.0GHz, 80gb hard drive, 2gb ram
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 5:59:18 PM

Hi :) 

Too old and worthless... you might get a few pounds/dollars for it on Ebay...might...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 7:25:18 PM

Not worth spending money, turn it into a cheap NAS, router or use it to learn Linux.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2012 10:09:59 PM

Unwell4 said:
What to do with Dell Dimension 4700?

m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
August 22, 2012 10:18:37 PM

Throw a hammer toss party.
Get a few of the 3lb hammers and let your friends pay you a dollar a throw to bust it up.
m
l
November 2, 2012 5:50:00 PM

What do you want for it and what city are you in? I'm in Clearwater Florida.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 7:30:53 PM

1st, I realize that this is an old post but, people stumble upon old posts all the time while looking for answers. 2nd, if this helps someone other than the OP that's good as well.
Unwell4 said:
Hey I have an outdated Dell Dimension 4700 just laying around, and I have no idea what to do with it... I'm trying to save up for a gaming pc so I need some extra cash..

I can post specs If ya'll need them but there just default, as i haven't added anything to them..

There is nothing wrong with trying to breath new life into an old dying dinosaur as long as you stick to hardware that will still be relevant in a new build/motherboard (since you could reuse your case) or you will just be throwing good money after bad.

Some parts will not be able to be used in a new build but as long as they are really cheap that's OK to. A perfect example is Your CPU. While that will not be good for any new builds you can buy a P4 670 3.8GHz CPU used on eBay for about $20 now and even if you have to improve the oem CPU cooling to better oem cooling you can do that for about another $15 to $30 these days. All in all if you are upgrading from from an old 2.8GHz CPU you will notice a big difference and I think it's worth it if you can't afford a solution like "delluser1"s right away.

I upgraded an old Dell Dimension 4700 a few years ago Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332610-28-dell-dimens...

I've made a few other changes since then:

My nice sound card died so I replaced it with the original "sound blaster live 24-bit" card and I replaced my 2TB hard drive with a 2nd 7200rpm 1TB hard drive and raided them in raid 0. I already had this Sata II PCIe x1 card installed http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which has a JMicron raid controller capable of RAID 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD and I also had the extra 7200rpm 1TB hard drive just lying around doing nothing so it was a pretty painless upgrade.

I have to say that while I know that my 4700 is a real dinosaur and it is no match for newer systems, with the upgrades it performs remarkably well for a large number of tasks.
m
l
June 17, 2013 9:46:12 PM

June 17th 2013
I rebuilt a Dell 4700 for fun. When I finished, I was surprised how well the dinosaur ran. I maxed out the ram with 6400 240pin ddr2- Installed a Nvidia 9600 GSO card- The CPU is 4.2gb hyper-threading, Installed a PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt power supply- Solid State Drive Sata- Sound Blaster Live card with software update- Installed a wireless card- Updated all the drivers, software and BIOS. Anyway, It runs XP Pro- and It is a nice running system. We watch Movies in hi-def and listen to surround sound on the speakers. This system runs games that are designed for duel core systems. Using the dell, out of 25,000 players playing Battlefield 1942, I was able to climb into the top 50 list just a few months back. Not shabby. By the way, I can't stand the Player AKA Jane Fonda that bitty keeps sniping me on Battlefield. My quad core of course smokes the 4700 yet, the 4700 is a good quality machine for an old girl.. Many people still use XP systems and are planning on using them off-line. If your dell 4700 is in good shape you could always sell it for $25-$100. Believe or not someone will be interested in it. F.Y.I If you want the best running computer possible, have a PC gamer build your system for you. They have the know how to enhance your system better than other techs. Why? Cause other techs will tell you "you don't need that". The Gamer Tech will say Lets make this thing run like the wind. PC gaming Techs are the ones with the attitude and vision you'll need for best performance output, on your system.
m
l
!