Sign in with
Your question

Sli display configuration/heat

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2012 1:27:55 AM

i have a gtx560 sli setup and the cards are squeezed together... i've got fans up the butt in there, and i'm not getting to melting temps, but still wouldn't mind going a little lower on the top card.....

exact specs do not matter

so my quick quesiton is this:

assuming i'm stuck with the physical setup in my case... is it possible to use the lower card (secondary card) as the PRIMARY display adapter for a single display setup while in constant sli mode?

my mobo says i'm using pci e slots 0 and 1... where of course the 0 is the top/primary card.... i currently am using SLI 24/7 seems fine... but i wonder if it possible to use the 1 slot /2ndary card/the bottom card as the video display if it will help the top card from getting as hot since in theory i'd be using the bottom card (which has better airflow) as the primary thus it's going to be used more than the top card.... hopefully THUS: my top card and over all card(s) temps may be lower?????

what do you guys think?
March 3, 2012 2:41:27 AM

Won't make any difference. Both cards will have the same load. The upper card is blowing hot air on the lower card, get it! Best you can do is profile fan speeds in MSI Afterburner and get a side panel fan to blow on the cards. Been there, done that...
m
l
March 3, 2012 5:49:41 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Won't make any difference. Both cards will have the same load. The upper card is blowing hot air on the lower card, get it! Best you can do is profile fan speeds in MSI Afterburner and get a side panel fan to blow on the cards. Been there, done that...

so the basic answer then is "NO" right?

i've found that by modding the plastic shell around the heatsink and fan, i get better aiflow from my spot cool fan blowing on them... my side panel fan wound up doing a better job of cooling by blowing OUT..... seems to be fine like i stated above... but was just curious if by offsetting the primary display adapter if it would in theory lower the top card heat...

any others with a little experience and insight?
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 3, 2012 6:15:00 PM

You can try using the DVI port on the secondary card if you like but as far as I'm aware there is no way of switching the primary and secondary card via software although with the introduction of 2D Surround you might be able to do something via the Nv control panel but I've not tried it myself so I can't say for sure.
m
l
March 4, 2012 1:01:23 AM

Actually, the GPU fans draw air in not blow air out from the face of the card. But the side panel fan blowing in still is a possible help.
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:37:23 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Actually, the GPU fans draw air in not blow air out from the face of the card. But the side panel fan blowing in still is a possible help.

thanks mousemonkey, i think i'm just gonna try plugging the HDMI into the 2nd card and just see what the heck happens... i'll post here when i do, and see what happens....

BUT:

these are the two cards i have stacked on top of one another:

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_detail...

these cards are not designed to be stacked because the heatsink / fan / plastic shell are designed to simply blow the heat off the card and blow it all around inside the case....

that's why i modded the plastic shell so it doesnt go on the sides to make a box, i simply cut the sides off and removed the yellow mesh and left the bottom flat piece just to keep the fan factory secure and keep a plastic boundry between the heatsink/fan of the the top/modded card and the bottom un modded card....

any other thoughts? i'm just looking for differing opionions mainly focused around airflow...

and as i stated before, the side panel fan has actually been reversed to blow out.... when i was monitoring my temperatures, having it blow in actually caused a higher temp of about 4 degrees C...... i think it's because of the spot cool fan i have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that is sitting on the opposite end of the monitor plug in (duh lol) basically it is blowing the incoming air from my HDD bay / front of the case DIRECTLY onto the heat sink/ fan setup of BOTH video cards... and basically blowing it right out the side panel and the rear exhaust fan.....

based on the # of fans of intake and exhaust i think i have a negative airflow case.... and it seems to be better than positive air flow...

IE: positive or negative airflow.... what are your thoughts? if i knew how to upload pics... i'd post a couple of my case so you guys can see....

also, granted my power supply, being a bottom mount, is considered an exhaust.... i've been debating on cutting a square hole in the base of the case and flipping the PSU around so the fan will draw fresh air from below the case and blow out the back... but then i'd be losing an exhaust inside.... what do you guys think about that?

m
l
!