Sign in with
Your question

About to turn on PC for first time, but...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2012 3:05:53 AM

I think maybe the metal part of the pci of the graphics card might be touching the motherboard, but I'm not sure, since it's so cramp I can't really see. So I want to ask you guys if it's okay to turn on the computer. I know I got it pass the motherboard though, but I know the motherboard was about to touch the back of the case, so I really don't know.

It's a gigabyte hd 6850 card with a http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

The video card is in and slotted in, but just making sure.

Oh, and I'm not sure of the powerled, hdd led, reset cables are correct, they are in the correct slot. But the Case wasn't clear which is ground and which is power.

More about : turn time

a c 83 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 3:26:57 AM

The GPU should be fine if its in the slot.

Have you by chance turned on the powersupply with nothing connected? I always like to incase in has some internal issue and blows and takes the system with it. Rare but it happens.

As for the panel wiring, switches work vonected either way, leds wont work if you plug them in backwards so if one doesn't come on just power down and flip the connector around.
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:33:38 AM

The psu is still off, but I'll turn it on now. This is my first pc build, so I am nervous :??: 

Oh you mean with everything not connected? Well, everything is connected.., and I havent tried turning on the psu with everything not plugged in yet
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 5:25:43 AM

The front panel connectors will usually all have a common color wire such as white or gray. This will be the "common" or (-) wire. There is no standard for this unfortunately. I have seen some recent cases where all wires were black.

This guide might be of some assistance as well. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Good luck.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2012 5:48:00 AM

If the bracket is just touching the side of the PCB then that is normal and fine.
m
l
!