Will two step-up rings influence picture quality?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 2, 2005 8:07:07 AM

Hello,

I have a Canon Powershot S45 digital camera with a lens adapter which
can fit 30.5mm filter threads. I also have a wide-angle lens but this
has a 52mm thread. Since I don't think a step-up ring from 30.5mm to
52mm exists, I was thinking I could use two step-up rings (30.5 to 43
and 43 to 52 or something like that). I'm not an expert in photography
so of course I was wondering if this would effect picture quality? Or
should I perhaps look for a different lens altogether? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Devvi
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:37:11 PM

Devvi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Canon Powershot S45 digital camera with a lens adapter which
> can fit 30.5mm filter threads. I also have a wide-angle lens but this
> has a 52mm thread. Since I don't think a step-up ring from 30.5mm to
> 52mm exists, I was thinking I could use two step-up rings (30.5 to 43
> and 43 to 52 or something like that). I'm not an expert in photography
> so of course I was wondering if this would effect picture quality? Or
> should I perhaps look for a different lens altogether? Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Devvi

You can use as many step up rights as you like, as long as the result
does not vignette the image and it will not damage image quality.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:27:01 PM

"Devvi" <triad_clan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Canon Powershot S45 digital camera with a lens adapter which
> can fit 30.5mm filter threads. I also have a wide-angle lens but this
> has a 52mm thread. Since I don't think a step-up ring from 30.5mm to
> 52mm exists, I was thinking I could use two step-up rings (30.5 to 43
> and 43 to 52 or something like that). I'm not an expert in photography
> so of course I was wondering if this would effect picture quality? Or
> should I perhaps look for a different lens altogether? Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Devvi

It might effect the camera's ability to focus, since you're basically adding
extension between the elements in the adapter, and the elements in your
camera's lenses.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:23:31 AM

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> I just read Mark's reply. Sorry, misread your original message, While
> I suspect it will work OK, I would not say that is anything more than a
> guess as I was assuming you were talking about filters. I had not properly
> read your original message.

Thanks for your reply (and Mark also), I think I might have made a typo
in my initial post (lens/filter). I'm beginning to suspect it might be
better to look for a lens with a thread that fits my camera better. The
reason I have this lens in the first place is because an eBay seller
sent me the wrong one. I'm trying to work things out with him (sending
it back is expensive internationally) and my first thought was to ask
for the proper set of step-up rings but I wanted to be sure first.

Thanks again.

Devvi
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:08:50 PM