R3dPhenom

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am going to be building a new gaming computer because my current one has now died completely from a flood. I am going to be purchasing everything off of newegg.

I have put together the following based on a strict $2500 budget. In total after taxes and shipping this comes out to $2460.

Can I get some feedback on this build. Is it worth the money? Is there anything I can do to lower the price a little bit? Anything I should be swapping out for more "bang for your buck items"?

Please let me know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth Z77 TUF
Processor - i5 - 3570k Ivy Bridge
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB
case - HAF 932 Advanced
Power Supply - Corsair HX750 Silver certified
DVD-RW - ASUS DRW-24B1ST - OEM
HDD - Crucial M4 64 GB Sata 3 SSD
HDD2 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 6.0 GB/s
Video card - Sapphire HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Compound - Arctic Silver 5
Operating system - Win 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Monitor - ASUS 24"2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD
Keyboard - Logitech Ultra-thin wired illuminated keyboard
Mouse - Mionix Naos 3200

Thanks in Advance

-R3d

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Your video card only requires 500 watts. You could scale back to a corsair 600 or 650 watt psu and still have plenty to spare.(unless you plan to crossfire at some point since 2 7950's need 700 watts). Also unless you are editing hd movies you will never use 16gb of memory. 8gb doesnt even get all used while playing the latest games.

R3dPhenom

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I will be running crossfire eventually, I want to try out the single card option for now. I do record gaming footage with fraps to make gaming video's, so I figured the extra ram would help smooth things out in After Effects and Premier.

With the video card, I heard that it gets a little hot if I overclock it to the 7970 specs. Should I invest in another cooling system for the video card? or will the stock cooler on the card be fine? I am also using the HAF case, and I have an spare fan I can install. Should that be sufficient to keep everything cool?

Thanks,

-R3d

bloodhoun555

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Seems like a good build, I think the power supply is a little much but it should be enough since you are planning to crossfire in the future, Other than that everything looks good. Good luck with your build!

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
An exceptional build for the money, IMO. But I think that if you really want to get more "bang for your buck," you might want to have to roll back your RAM. I think the 16 gig RAM is unnecessary, 4 gig memories already offer very very nice performances in games but since you want to record videos, an 8 gig RAM would be more than enough for you. If you do follow my tip, you could go ahead and spend the saved cash to buy aftermarket coolers for your GPU.

Still, everything is up to you. G'luck with your build. :D