Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which 7970 to buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2012 3:45:38 AM

Hi,

so I'm going to upgrade to a 7970 but Im not sure which one to get.. The one from ASUS (Asus DC2T 7970) looks good but you need to use all adapters for 3 monitors (1920x1080) which is my setup. I was also looking at a XFX RADEON HD 7970 Overclock xXx Double Dissipation Black Edition but I have been hearing that this gets a "squealing sound" when used.

Can the community please give me some input on this?

Also My color scheme/theme for my PC is black with red or Republic Of Gamers so any cards like that would be preferred but it doesnt matter to much!!

Thanks!!
Dan

More about : 7970 buy

March 3, 2012 3:55:51 AM

BigMack70 said:
Well I have the XFX DD BE and I have not experienced the squealing sound personally. I haven't ever used a triple monitor setup myself, however, so can't really comment on which is the best, since I don't know what all adapters you need. I know my XFX didn't come with all the adapters needed to drive 3 screens.

Then again, if you already have all the adapters you need, you should just pick whichever 7970 you like the look of best. Personally, I think the extra $50 is worth it for one of the custom coolers - you're not buying for value anyways when you buy a top end card. They seem to pretty much all OC the same - it seems to depend more on your luck of the draw than on which card you actually buy.

Ok! Good to know someone has a good review of that one! (its a LOT cheaper and looks awesome too!!)

Thanks Mate,
Dan
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 4:07:02 AM

yeah, XFX has some heatness issue when used too much i would say asus is better for cooling as well as performance, i'm using amd hd 7970 CF.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 5:16:52 AM

then why my friend had this issue XFX 7970 when he playing crysis at maxed load his gpu temps going like a hell 89C and his system is water cooled..

and if you read my post correctly where i mention " XFX has (some) heatness issue" not at all.
March 3, 2012 5:26:46 AM

xtreme5 said:
then why my friend had this issue XFX 7970 when he playing crysis at maxed load his gpu temps going like a hell 89C and his system is water cooled..

and if you read my post correctly where i mention " XFX has (some) heatness issue" not at all.

Ok thanks very much, I will keep your friends experience in mind as I have read about similar things happening.

I am sort of thinking of going with the ASUS one now because I have heard of no problems with theirs. Plus it fits in with my case theme alot better, I just need one more person to confirm that this is a good choice and then I'll go ahead with it.

Thanks,
Dan
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 5:40:06 AM

yes, ASUS is better choice..
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 12:03:39 PM

huh? Then you're very lucky i think...
Score
March 3, 2012 12:34:06 PM

BigMack70 said:
??

I've never seen my 7970 go over 70C in games, and in most games it doesn't go above 62-63C.

And there's not much to show that any one brand or model overclocks better than any other - if you look through all the reviews of each card, you see that each card sometimes achieves amazing overclocks, sometimes not. Almost all 7970s are capable of hitting 1125/1575 but what you get beyond that doesn't seem to depend as much on your card model as it does your luck of the draw.

62-63 is where i max out and never any higher. i have heard about the squealing noise and have heard myself on my 7970 in the heaven benchmark but that was it. it never appeared in any application other than heaven. weird huh?
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 1:04:05 PM

that's what i'm trying to say...
Score
March 3, 2012 6:27:01 PM

Best answer selected by GamerIDGoesHere.
Score
!