Final changes before ordering the build.Need your expert help!

joshul

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of days.

Budget Range: About $1,400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming: primarily BF3 on ultar-->Web browsing -->HD movies and Anime

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers (I use Sennheiser HD-25-1 II headphones)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.theitdepot.com, Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel Ivy Bridge processor (but maybe an i5-2500k; not entirely sure)

Overclocking: about 4.0 ghz, How much can i overclock on stock heat sink

SLI or Crossfire: In future, not now

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This will be my first time building a computer.
# Will i have to change BIOS to install sandy bridge in Z77 mobo's as it is required when installing IB on a Z68 mobo?
#I am thinking on waiting for Nvidia 670 cards to release, should i? or should i just go for Amd right now? Can i save some money by waiting?
#What about monitor is it good? Do u have any better then this to suggest in same price or a little more?

Comments and criticism welcome!

So far my probable build looks like this:

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K Boxed 3.3 Ghz. Socket 1155 or IB i5-3570k
Rs.11,708

MB Asrock Sandy Bridge Z77 Extreme 4 1155 Pin Boxed
Rs.9,593

Monitor Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 24-Inch Ultra-thin Widescreen LED Monitor - Black 2ms Full HD
Rs.10,050

Memory DDR III G.Skill 4gb X 2 8GB Kit F3-12800CL9D-8gbXL 1600 mhz. Rip Jaws
Rs.3,046

HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 1TB 64 MB Cache
Rs.5,121

DVD Writer LG OEM SATA Black 24X
Rs.900

Cabinet Cooler Master Storm Enforcer without SMPS
Rs.6,645

HD 7870 2gb DDR5
Rs.21,575

PSU Corsair 750W TX
Rs.6157

Total :- 74.795 =>1406.15$

Thanks!

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
That's a good looking build as it is. For overclocking, you really want an aftermarket heatsink...the Intel stock ones are OK for stock speeds but will not be sufficient for even mild overclocks. A cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper-212 / EVO will be fine and cost very little money for the performance they give you. That should do you up to about 4.3 - 4.5GHz.

i5-2500K or i5-3750K? Ivy is the newer architecture but doesn't bring a whole lot more to the table for a gamer that Sandy didn't already provide. Added to that, it runs hotter than Sandy when overclocked...I'd read some reviews comparing the two and make your mind up from there. Ivy should be OK, but if overclocking then the aftermarket cooler becomes even more critical.

Not sure about BIOS changes for Sandy in a Z77 motherboard, but it's generally good practice to update the BIOS to the latest version upon completing a new build anyway.

Monitor looks good from a quick Google...as long as it's priced reasonably and gets a good review score, then I'd say go for it. Make sure you read some reviews from it being used on a gaming system, however...that's what you're using it for, after all.

The 7870 is a good GPU, but the 670s should be out soon. It's up to you whether you want to wait or not. Bear in mind if you do get a 670 and want to SLI in the future, you should get a motherboard that supports it. Not all motherboards support SLI as Nvidia licenses this technology to specific motherboard SKUs. Additionally, check the power requirements for multiple GPUs for whatever one you go for. A 750W PSU should be enough for two GPUs, especially those based on the 28nm process (AMD 7xxx and Nvidia 6xx series, as they're power efficient), but you want to avoid having to replace a PSU too further down the road just to use multiple GPUs.

You've said as part of your usage that you want to watch HD movies on this build...you'll need a Bluray drive for that. The system will run HD perfectly.

joshul

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for your inputs.

#The 7870 is a good GPU, but the 670s should be out soon. It's up to you whether you want to wait or not. Bear in mind if you do get a 670 and want to SLI in the future, you should get a motherboard that supports it.

-The MOBO i listed supports the SLI/CFX both. So there should be no any other issues.

#You've said as part of your usage that you want to watch HD movies on this build...you'll need a Bluray drive for that. The system will run HD perfectly.
-Mostly i will stream or download the HD contents so i think i will not require a blu ray reader.

#As per your advice i will add the Coolermaster Hyper-212 / EVO =>Rs 2,084/ $40

#About the CASE is it good enough for further upgrades in future?
Anything else missed??

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Should be fine...it's a high-end case.

Can't think of anything else...others will chip in if I have. But it looks like to me that you have a reasonable system to game with for the future.