My pc:
ASRock 890fx Deluxe3
Phenom ii X4 980 3.7ghz
Nvidia Gtx 480 [evga, stock]
nvidia Gtx 550ti [physx, Got for free]
16gb ddr3 1600
680w psu
-other non relevant shiz-

So, Running bf3 back to karkand maps @ 720p all maxed out it dips to around the 30's is this normal?
Also with source games both the 550ti and the 480 are really bad.

P.S. How do i force sony vegas 10 pro to gpu render? It takes for ever on cpu and i have plenty gpu power laying around.

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, I do know that. All i have around is two 720p monitors. I'm using my 26'' TV at the moment. I have plans of getting two 24 or 27 inch monitors.

Kari

Splendid

that might very well be the case. However, whatever is holding it down doesn't just magically disappear when the rez is increased. Sure the load on the gpu will go up because there'll be more stuff for it to calculate but the overall fps won't go up since that something is still there holding it back...

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Are you running both monitors at the same time? If you're gaming and running a second monitor, this may explain FPS issues when the card(s) need to really work hard. Try simply turning off the second monitor while playing (Using Nvidia Control Panel) if you don't need it running. The GTX480 is a very powerful card and really should have no issues at that low of a resolution.

Also, not all games respond well to running a discrete PhysX card (Don't ask me why, but I have tried it before). Try running it with just the GTX480 and see if it runs better.... just a thought.

I have not once stated that he is going to get more average FPS, his min might go up with more reasonable workload. GTX480 should have no problem with BF3 even at 1080P with eye candy on. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-5.html

Kari

Splendid

the system doesn't know what a reasonable workload is. It will always run as fast as the slowest component allows it, increasing the rez will just add extra stuff to take care off. and the min rates are the least likely to go up.

and yeah 480 shouldn't have any problems running the game (when paired with strong cpu), so there likely is something wrong with the system (or it just is the cpu), but increasing the rez isn't going to solve anything...

and i didn't mean 'average' with 'overall', poor choice of words (not native english speaker)

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
sounds like your cpu is throttling, check your cpu temps with hwmonitor

about sony vegas, you have to use mainconcept avc/aac encoder if you want cuda supported encoding; when you select mainconcept click customize and click on 'system' tab; there should be 'check gpu' button that will tell you if your card is properly initialized for cuda encoding, and finally in the 'video' tab of the said encoder, under the encoding mode select 'render using gpu if available', even though 'automatic' should use gpu automatically, not sure why is that not the case with your vegas (i'm speaking behind vegas 11 here, but i'm pretty sure apart from some minor gui changes, everything else is the same as in vegas 10 that considers mainconcept's encoder)

edit: link to hwmonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Ok, Addressing @ All!

Soda-88:
My cpu never goes past 45C on 95% load.

Rolli59
When i Max Bf3 the Gpu goes up to 99.5% load.

Ironwilly
No, I'm only using 1 monitor atm. 1360x768 I'd love to get a new monitor but i'm strapped for cash.

*Also, I'm 100% sure it's not a power problem. But i'm going to take out the 550ti and see what i get then

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yeah That Doesnt Sound Right At All, I Have A 460SE (Overclocked) I Run BF3 @ 1920x1200 With 2xAA On High Settings Smoothly And Im Running Dual-Monitors As Well. A 480 Should Have No Issues At All

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
hmm, is it multiplayer that you're playing btw? 64 player matches are extremely cpu taxing, try dropping all the settings to bare minimum and see if your fps gets any higher, if not then it's definitely cpu that's bottlenecking

i just went on to try playing campaign at 1366x768 with ultra preset minus the msaa and the game runs at 55-70fps on my pc (specs in signature)