Best CPU for gaming (Currently have a i7 2600 (non K)

kolton45

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I am currently getting a new mobo, GPU and I was wondering if an upgrade to my CPU would make much of a difference in my gaming. as I have stated I have an i7 2600 but it is the non K version and If I am correct it is not able to be overclocked? or is harder too...anyway any help will be appreciated.

Solution
Just upgrade to the 670 and call it a day. No CPU upgrade you can do will really be worth it. The 2600 at stock won't bottleneck the 670, so no reason to worry about the need to, or inability to OC, anyway.

If you just want to OC for the hell of it, then get a 2500K or 3570K. No need for an i7 for gaming, in any case.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I would just stick with the i7 2600. You could upgrade but the expense is not worth what little performance you might gain.

Just out of curiosity, why are you getting a new mobo? The reason I ask is that except for your current mobo being dead or wanting to go crossfire/Sli there is little reason to change mobos if you don't need to upgrade cpu. If you are trying to gain more performance with a new mobo, what little performance you might gain with a new mobo is not worth the expense.

What is your power supply and budget. HD7850/70s are going for great prices right now. GTX660Ti, GTX670 or HD7950/70 will all be great cards. Just get the best you can afford. Also some games perform better with different games and different resolutions. Give more details and we can better help you.
-Bruce

kolton45

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I am currently using my stock piece of crap that I got with my computer that doesn't allow overclocking...or really anything...I am planning on upgrading it too the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 and I am also looking at a ASUS GTX 670

Just upgrade to the 670 and call it a day. No CPU upgrade you can do will really be worth it. The 2600 at stock won't bottleneck the 670, so no reason to worry about the need to, or inability to OC, anyway.

If you just want to OC for the hell of it, then get a 2500K or 3570K. No need for an i7 for gaming, in any case.

Solution

Hmm, yeah, I suppose if you have something strange like that going on, a new motherboard is ok. It just wouldn't be for any performance related reason (should be absolutely no difference).