Your question

How many think a Folding at Home forum section would be good

Tags:
  • Feature Requests
  • Computers
  • Distributed Computing
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback

Should we have a Folding@Home subsection on forum?

Total: 41 votes (2 blank votes)

• Yes lets support a great cause
  • 93 %
  • No we dont need it
  • 8 %
May 29, 2012 11:43:55 PM

Hello :hello: 

Folding @ Home is a distributed computing project that helps scientists by utilizing home user computers during non-use to fold proteins so scientists can hopefully find answers and cures for diseases like cancer,leukemia,diabetes etc

This is important to me since my Fiance has stage 4 incurable lymph node cancer and was given only 13 months to live by her oncology doctor

Hopefully what has happened to her can be prevented in the future.

Currently our Toms F@H team only has a single thread for this topic and needs our support

Thank you for reading this

More about : folding home forum section good

May 30, 2012 12:06:12 AM

I'm with you 100% king smp. Thanks for starting this.
May 30, 2012 12:32:52 AM

Glad to help
If it needs editing let me know
May 30, 2012 12:51:41 AM

So sorry to hear about your Fiancee! You guys are in my prayers.

How many 'yes' votes will convince Administration to place a Distributed Computing Section in the Forum? Would love to hear from a Moderator, Joe P, or an Administrator themselves.
May 30, 2012 12:59:46 AM

Hopefully they approve
It is for a great cause
There is no ulterior motive other than trying to help scientists fight diseases
May 30, 2012 1:12:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your Fiancee, king smp! Thanks a lot for starting this poll, hopefully it will get the folding team some needed recognition!
May 30, 2012 1:14:04 AM

Jack Naylor is pissed at me. Rightfully so!
May 30, 2012 1:22:57 AM

Who is Jack Naylor?
May 30, 2012 1:32:01 AM

He is a moderator.
May 30, 2012 1:32:25 AM

Pretty sure he's a forum regular, forum name is JackNaylorPE if memory serves correct.

EDIT: Guess he's more than just a forum regular, haha.
May 30, 2012 1:33:27 AM

Correct...and I got on his 'good' side here recently...

dumb dogman! :pfff: 
May 30, 2012 1:34:37 AM

I have tied to spread the message across 1/2 of the forum. No one has really take it in I guess? :/ 
May 30, 2012 1:38:40 AM

Not getting much of a response, I take it?
May 30, 2012 1:49:22 AM

maybe traffic is slow today
lets hope the word of the poll spreads tomorrow morning USA Eastern TIme
May 30, 2012 2:45:03 AM

Pacific should be active.
May 30, 2012 3:18:04 AM

Well dont forget the UK side! They come to these forums as well. (beanoslim for example)

May 30, 2012 3:52:02 AM

Have bean send out messages as well!
May 30, 2012 6:54:42 AM

Start threads in the Cpu and components, graphics, and overclocking sections.
May 30, 2012 7:23:52 AM

I have. I cannot tell if Moderators have been deleting them!
May 30, 2012 7:33:26 AM

Folding stresses the gpu and cpu to 100% right?

EDIT:

Post in overclocking section about how it can test your system for stability!

Well IDK beanoslim said it might not be stable in FAH! :o 
May 30, 2012 10:18:00 AM

king smp, as others have said, sorry to hear about your fiancée.

Everyone fold for different reasons, we all donate our time and money towards this and more than one thread would be great to help new and current folders.

Please help us out.
May 30, 2012 2:45:57 PM

I voted no. Mainly because I disapprove of the massive cross-posting used to promote this project. That's enough to turn me off without reading further.

I suspect that only people who care will vote, so you will get an overwhelming, but irrelevant, "yes" vote.
May 30, 2012 6:38:17 PM

How else are we to get the message across?
Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us. We still welcome all to join 40051.
We were not forcing you to read the threads.
May 30, 2012 7:23:46 PM

Thanx for this thread, excellent idea!

May 30, 2012 7:27:32 PM

Ijack said:
I voted no. Mainly because I disapprove of the massive cross-posting used to promote this project. That's enough to turn me off without reading further.

I suspect that only people who care will vote, so you will get an overwhelming, but irrelevant, "yes" vote.

So if you don't care why did you vote?

How is it irrelevant when it means a lot to people as they feel it can make a differance to peoples and loved ones lives.

Your attitude towards this is enough to turn me off, hopefully I won't have to read any more of your irrelavant disapproving posts..
May 30, 2012 7:34:15 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I have tied to spread the message across 1/2 of the forum. No one has really take it in I guess? :/ 

Spamming the forum with links to a thread is not a brilliant idea, even though your intentions and heart may be in the right place it does tend to nark people off.
May 30, 2012 7:37:25 PM

amuffin said:
Folding stresses the gpu and cpu to 100% right?

EDIT:

Post in overclocking section about how it can test your system for stability!

Well IDK beanoslim said it might not be stable in FAH! :o 

F@H stresses other parts that standard stress tests cannot reach.

A fully stable machine should be able to handle anything you chuck at it but sometimes I have found machines to be stable in stress tests but not Folding.

This is taking to the extreme we are talking about crashing after 3-4 days of solid Folding, not just say a 1hr crunch test.
May 30, 2012 7:44:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Spamming the forum with links to a thread is not a brilliant idea, even though your intentions and heart may be in the right place it does tend to nark people off.

I see. :??: 
May 30, 2012 7:46:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:

I'm with you on that.

i think the better way to approach this is to PM active people that are on this forum with a link to this thread instead of spamming forums about F@H.

Although that is a time consuming Task.......
May 30, 2012 7:47:14 PM

I was thinking. Guess that did not work out for me! :/ 
May 30, 2012 7:50:45 PM

dogman_1234 said:
I was thinking. Guess that did not work out for me! :/ 

Some plans work, some don't.

Never really know though until you put it into action. ;) 
May 30, 2012 7:53:15 PM

"The best laid schemes of mice and men...often go awry..."
May 30, 2012 8:41:17 PM

beanoslim said:
So if you don't care why did you vote?

How is it irrelevant when it means a lot to people as they feel it can make a differance to peoples and loved ones lives.

Your attitude towards this is enough to turn me off, hopefully I won't have to read any more of your irrelavant disapproving posts..
Why vote if I am not going to vote the way you want me to? Good question!

Supplemental question. Why have two options if the only acceptable answer is option 1?
May 30, 2012 8:45:29 PM

I think beano is more concerned about your original post.
May 30, 2012 8:46:47 PM

You have my vote, good luck! Once I get my system up to snuff I will see about joining the team.
May 30, 2012 8:46:53 PM

Ijack said:

Supplemental question. Why have two options if the only acceptable answer is option 1?

Why do u disapprove of the massive cross-posting used to promote this project?
May 30, 2012 8:48:05 PM

johnsonma said:
You have my vote, good luck! Once I get my system up to snuff I will see about joining the team.

Cool! Love to have you on board!

Team # is 40051.
May 30, 2012 9:42:56 PM

Ijack said:

Not at all... you are perfectly entitled to vote whichever way you please but when voting on something you usually do it with an informed opinion not just because you didn't like the cross posting which actually has nothing to do with the root cause of this post.

If you didn't like the way this was being spread across the forum you should have commented on that as that was your issue.

F@H represents a lot of good and to just dismiss it the way you have without looking into it a bit further shows that you don't care.

So back to your original post if you don't care why vote?
May 30, 2012 9:52:17 PM

nikorr said:
Why do u disapprove of the massive cross-posting used to promote this project?

Forums have rules against cross-posting for a good reason. Perhaps I should have used the word spamming, rather than cross-posting, as this is what this flood of posts really amounts to. And I don't think that the ends justify the means. I don't really think that any topic warrants misusing the forums in this manner.

Now, before everyone continues on their moral high horse, please note that I am only voting on the question asked - whether this particular topic should have its own section. Personally I don't think that it should and I'm not going to be blackmailed into saying it should because someone decides to spam all the forums to promote their view. That the question is promoted in that way does little to reassure me that a separate section is a good idea.

This is an entirely separate question from that of folding@home itself which is an admirable project that people decide to join either as individuals or as part of a team; some people like to feel part of a team, some are happier on their own. But it's not that big a subject, or one that is likely to generate that amount of discussion of general interest, to warrant its own section IMO.
May 30, 2012 10:00:50 PM

If you feel I have violated THG ToS, please report me to a Moderator. I will be happy to explain what has happened.
May 30, 2012 10:00:50 PM

beanoslim said:

F@H represents a lot of good and to just dismiss it the way you have without looking into it a bit further shows that you don't care.

So back to your original post if you don't care why vote?
You are overreacting to something that I never said. Until my previous post I made no comment on the folding@home project itself. What I did comment on was the subject that I was being asked to vote on.

I do care about whether this particular subject deserves its own section. I don't wish to see an unnecessary proliferation of sections in the forums. If people want to discuss folding@home as part of a TH team then fine, but I don't think it needs a separate section for such a narrow topic. And, frankly, I'm not impressed with the actions of those trying to promote this cause or the aggressive stance taken against those who disagree.

As I said elsewhere, this is nothing to do with the folding@home project itself (which I prefer to support on an individual basis rather than as part of a team) but on a suggestion regarding these forums. As a user of the forums I have as much interest in them, and as much right to comment on them, as any other member.

So, can everyone just climbdown off their high horse for a moment and consider the question asked.
May 30, 2012 10:04:17 PM

dogman_1234 said:
If you feel I have violated THG ToS, please report me to a Moderator. I will be happy to explain what has happened.

i'm sure the mods are more than able to consider your actions without any help from myself. You seemed to take a delight earlier in this thread that you had annoyed one moderator, and another has commented in this thread. It hardly needs me to raise the subject.
May 30, 2012 10:06:08 PM

johnsonma said:

Well, if you need a link to the team for right now, the image in my sig is clickable that leads to the thread.

Although you'll need to click page 91(or beyond) of the thread to to see where were at. F@H has drastically changed from 2009 so a lot of the guides that were once helpful are now severely outdated.

This is one of the reasons why we need our own Sub-forum.
'
To be able to remove guides that are out dated and put new one in that relevant to current times. We cant always expect the OP of the thread to update there post to keep things relevant. In our case, Cunninglinguist who is the OP of the current F@H thread, hasn't been on since Feb. of 2011....

Also another good reason will be able any to give any news the F@H would have.

I've never like giving news on the same thread we're having a discussion on but because we only have that thread...... I dont have any other choice.

May 30, 2012 10:07:37 PM

Ijack said:
This is an entirely separate question from that of folding@home itself which is an admirable project that people decide to join either as individuals or as part of a team; some people like to feel part of a team, some are happier on their own. But it's not that big a subject, or one that is likely to generate that amount of discussion of general interest, to warrant its own section IMO.

I disagree. I have seen the F@H thread grow 60 pages since I joined and there is a lot of good information in there that is essentially lost. As of right now we have no recourse but to repost the same information every 5-10 pages. If we had a section to post in it would be easier to keep pertinent information accessible to those that want to contribute.
May 30, 2012 10:09:06 PM

Ijack said:
You seemed to take a delight earlier in this thread that you had annoyed one moderator, and another has commented in this thread. It hardly needs me to raise the subject.

What the heck is you problem?
I did not take delight in pissing him off. I apologized due to a 404 error that resulted in a multi-post issue!
I do not like trolling at all. I joke, but not on malicious terms like you describe. Ask anyone how I conduct myself!
May 30, 2012 10:47:32 PM

Ijack said:

Well, i respect your decision and i can somewhat see the reason if you base it on this forum.

Although I say other wise to what you think. I think that we could generate the discussion as F@H can be a lot bigger than some notice.

Take these teams for example:

Hardcoop:
http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

EVGA:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=28

Overclockers:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2...

they can generate a lot of discussions in a quick about of time and one of those teams is a lot younger than us (EVGA).

May 31, 2012 12:51:32 AM

I'll add my whole hearted support to the measured comments of iJack. I also voted NO. My reasons are simple, 91 pages in the active thread since 2009 is hardly indicative of something gaining interest from many people. Hell we used to get more than that in a week back in the days of the 'Other' and that got killed thanks to Riser and his lack of humour.

You should get a sticky in Software -> Applications -> Other. It's the right place for a piece of application software.

May 31, 2012 1:26:46 AM

Actually even better would be:

Tom's Hardware > Forum > Applications > Distributed Computing

It's certainly there from the UK site and should be from the US .com version.
May 31, 2012 2:25:38 AM

warmon6 said:
In our case, Cunninglinguist who is the OP of the current F@H thread, hasn't been on since Feb. of 2011....

The OP can be changed. If someone is interested in taking over the OP they can PM me. Cunninglinguist is not particularly active, possibly because F@H hasn't traditionally been a hot topic here (in the last year or two it has ramped up more interest though). In fact the only reason he posted again back in 2009 is because I unstickied the original F@H thread.
May 31, 2012 4:30:50 AM

Is it possible just to have one GPU running FAH? While having another GPU playing a game or doing a different task?
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!