Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD to stop producing performance cpu's?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 22, 2012 11:41:40 PM

I just read an article that says that rumors report that AMD will stop producing performance cpu's (fx series) after piledriver and vishera. According to the article piledriver is not a big enough imporvement to compete wit ivybridge and upcoming haswell. It also said that AMD will focus their efforts on APU's which are doing alot better than bulldozer. What you guys think?

Article : ( http://wccftech.com/amd-rumored-discontinue-performance... )
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 330 À AMD
August 23, 2012 12:00:26 AM

Yep but pretty old news since it was announced a few months ago.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 12:29:30 AM

From the article:

Quote:
We still can’t confirm how legitimate the source is since there has been no word on this by AMD themselves but for now it seems as if Steamroller and Excavator are just names to be remembered in the performance market, their core architecture would still be used in APU development. On AMD’s APU’s forefront, we would be looking at Trinity and later on Kaveri which would be the 3rd generation APU based on 28nm Richland architecture featuring new HSA improvements and Sea Islands


It would make sense for AMD to either cancel Piledriver or Steamroller, given their current financial outlook, and since much of the R&D on PD has been done already, it could very well be Steamroller than has run out of steam. Desktop is pretty much a leveled-off, saturated market anyway - it's mobile and server that are growth areas, at least outside of China (which I hear is emphasizing their Loongson homemade CPUs).
m
0
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 12:56:05 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
From the article:

Quote:
We still can’t confirm how legitimate the source is since there has been no word on this by AMD themselves but for now it seems as if Steamroller and Excavator are just names to be remembered in the performance market, their core architecture would still be used in APU development. On AMD’s APU’s forefront, we would be looking at Trinity and later on Kaveri which would be the 3rd generation APU based on 28nm Richland architecture featuring new HSA improvements and Sea Islands


It would make sense for AMD to either cancel Piledriver or Steamroller, given their current financial outlook, and since much of the R&D on PD has been done already, it could very well be Steamroller than has run out of steam. Desktop is pretty much a leveled-off, saturated market anyway - it's mobile and server that are growth areas, at least outside of China (which I hear is emphasizing their Loongson homemade CPUs).


If AMD drops out of the desktop market then who is gonna challenge intel? Maybe one of the ARM manufacturers will step up to the plate and challenge intel?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 1:08:00 AM

thepoomonger said:
If AMD drops out of the desktop market then who is gonna challenge intel? Maybe one of the ARM manufacturers will step up to the plate and challenge intel?


AMD's not dropping out of the desktop market, they're just focusing on APU's. APU's are now, and will still be used in desktops (Intel will probably go in that direction as well, at some point).

The main point is that AMD has stopped trying to beat Intel from a raw CPU performance perspective, but that doesn't mean that they're just giving up on the desktop market. They just won't compete in the high end anymore.
m
0
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
August 23, 2012 1:34:37 AM

It makes sense for AMD to drop their CPU lineup from the consumer level market. They need to cut costs and dropping socket AM3+ to focus solely on socket FMx in the consumer market will save them money (R&D as well as production).

m
0
l
a c 188 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 1:46:06 AM

also smart too if there chip cost can come down then dell and hp may be using there apu in desktop pc for work and low end home units.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 1:59:28 AM

thepoomonger said:
If AMD drops out of the desktop market then who is gonna challenge intel? Maybe one of the ARM manufacturers will step up to the plate and challenge intel?


ARM has a LOOOONG way to go before challenging anybody on desktop :p ... They may find their hands full if Intel succeeds with the Atom SoC shrinks and Haswell or Bridgwell gets its power consumption down into tablet territory..
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 2:04:20 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
AMD's not dropping out of the desktop market, they're just focusing on APU's. APU's are now, and will still be used in desktops (Intel will probably go in that direction as well, at some point).

The main point is that AMD has stopped trying to beat Intel from a raw CPU performance perspective, but that doesn't mean that they're just giving up on the desktop market. They just won't compete in the high end anymore.


Considering that SB and now IB have iGPUs on most desktop versions, Intel is already using "APUs" on desktop.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 2:09:52 AM

Maybe bulldozer was the beginning of the end for AMD?
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 2:10:23 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
Considering that SB and now IB have iGPUs on most desktop versions, Intel is already using "APUs" on desktop.


Yeah, I realized after I made that comment that I probably should have clarified that by saying "Intel will probably start going "more" in that direction, with a stronger iGPU".
m
0
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
August 23, 2012 2:11:03 AM

smorizio said:
also smart too if there chip cost can come down then dell and hp may be using there apu in desktop pc for work and low end home units.



And that can be a disadvantage as well which was reflected in AMD Q2 financial results. The pre-announcement of Trinity APU more or less cut into the sale of Llano APU. Since many people know the Trinity is supposed to be better Llano, then people would tend to postpone their purchase so that they can get a Trinity based APU.

More importantly system builder like Dell and HP knows more about computer components than the average user. They ordered less Llano OEM products in the anticipation of lower sales due to the release of Trinity. Dell and HP did not want to be stuck with "obsolete" APUs that would need to be either written off as an expense or sell them at a loss just to get rid of the inventory. Selling them at a loss also means they would potentially need to also provide tech support to these Llano desktops / laptops. So Dell / HP are loosing money on those obsolete Llano products and they have to spend money to provide tech support for those money loosing products. That in turn means more money lost. With less sales in Q2 AMD made less money.
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 4:33:01 AM

nekulturny said:
I dunno about you, but that smells something reminiscent of fecal matter from hoofed animals. :whistle: 


:lol:  I quite literally LOL'd at that...
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:33:42 AM

thepoomonger said:
I just read an article that says that rumors report that AMD will stop producing performance cpu's (fx series) after piledriver and vishera. According to the article piledriver is not a big enough imporvement to compete wit ivybridge and upcoming haswell. It also said that AMD will focus their efforts on APU's which are doing alot better than bulldozer. What you guys think?

Article : ( http://wccftech.com/amd-rumored-discontinue-performance... )

What do I think? Have you seen the original article from OBR? Its linked to in that site...
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/08/amd-fx2-piledriver-...

Some guy with no name claims to have a super secret document probably smuggled out in a very Sandy Berger style move (hidden in underwear) that claims that x, y, z. I dunno about you, but that smells something reminiscent of fecal matter from hoofed animals. :whistle: 
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:37:54 AM

lol, you should check out the link from OBR, btw, has anyone actually heard of OBR hardware before? I mean, maybe I've just been living under a rock or something, but where does this website stand in the scheme of well known tech sites like this one, HardOCP, and Aandntech?

Hell I could make a site in 5 minutes and claim I have secret documents that prove the Loch Ness Monster has been confirmed real by thermal imaging satellites owned by the Russian Federation, that doesn't really make it true does it?
m
0
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 6:16:53 AM

AMD just can't compete :p 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:57:17 AM

AMD are focusing on HSA/Fusion and cloud computing, they don't have the resources to compete on x86 platform which Intel basically own.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 11:24:32 AM

nekulturny said:
lol, you should check out the link from OBR, btw, has anyone actually heard of OBR hardware before? I mean, maybe I've just been living under a rock or something, but where does this website stand in the scheme of well known tech sites like this one, HardOCP, and Aandntech?

Hell I could make a site in 5 minutes and claim I have secret documents that prove the Loch Ness Monster has been confirmed real by thermal imaging satellites owned by the Russian Federation, that doesn't really make it true does it?



AWE come on man ! Everybody knows Nessy is real.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 12:49:36 PM

Well I don't see them competing at the high end for a while, that will require some creative core redesign. Intel have always and will maintain the process technology for a while yet, though you have to wonder getting smaller is going to be more difficult).

Hope they aren't done for yet though, they do have some good ideas and the whole APU thing has some great potential. The gpu compute side of things seems to be coming along quite nicely and if openCl continues to improve and they continue to aid developers with it, who knows. The APU side of things is pretty neat and if they can engineer things so that the cpu can seamlessly grab some gpu muscle :)  Trouble is what they are attempting is fiendishly complicated.

AMD seem to have some great ideas but their execution struggles. After all this time they still don't seem to have enabled the video hardware encoding in their videocard drivers and I imagine that even the older llano chips can get boost here.

They are doing the right thing I guess, the current x86 cores they have, whilst not bad by any means won't be stealing any speed crowns any time soon. Barring some floating point intensive workloads I'd be more than happy enough with the 8150, just not keen on the power draw for the performance on offer:( 

At the end of the day, hope they do what they need to survive and innovate. Would be a sadder place without them and the forums would be quieter too lol
m
0
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 23, 2012 1:25:34 PM

I hope AMD stay's in the desktop market, someone needs to keep Intel honest, even if they can only compete on the budget end on the market.

Who knows though, maybe Haswell will flop and Piledriver will be a new renaissance of AMD CPU's. I can imagine an early Quad core situation happening with 8 Core CPU's (which by all account Intel wont touch for a while, even in the premium X79 like platforms). An 8 Core with Hyperthread-like technology and optimizations to improve single threaded performance would be a significant piece of hardware, especially at the top end (So the number cruncher's and video editors).
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 2:00:26 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, I realized after I made that comment that I probably should have clarified that by saying "Intel will probably start going "more" in that direction, with a stronger iGPU".

With some luck, OpenCL will catch on and programmers will start using it for iGPGPU so enthusiasts will not feel like their high-end CPUs come with worthless IGP.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 2:06:16 PM

Hey, AMD just give Phenom II a Die-Shrink to 32/28nm. It will be more efficient, runs cooler and will overclock higher.

If you can make an 8-Core CPU with Phenom II Architecture, That would be awesome.
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 2:11:55 PM

Regor245 said:
Hey, AMD just give Phenom II a Die-Shrink to 32/28nm. It will be more efficient, runs cooler and will overclock higher.

AFAIK, AMD's CPUs are still manufactured by GlobalFoundries and their 28nm plant is not ready yet.
m
0
l
August 23, 2012 6:43:55 PM

New article popped up AMD is not canceling steamroller and everything after that. They are committed to the high end market and do not respond to rumors.
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:51:49 PM

thepoomonger said:
They are committed to the high end market and do not respond to rumors.

Even if they are, it is unlikely that AMD's "high end" will catch up with Intel's high end any time soon.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:58:30 PM

Everyone knows that OBR is a shyte mongerer banned from just about anywhere because of his tripe.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:01:54 PM

I just find it amusing the guy who has no credibility among the top tech sites on the internet is making claims that he has secret information that isn't really a secret. He says AMD is moving to APUs primarily? You mean just like Intel has already done with Sandy Bridge?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 7:16:41 PM

make stories on the Internets with the intention of trafficking attention.....yup good source. Basically a professional overclocker that has sources within both AMD and Intel has stated that AMD will end their existing architecture with excavator and will move thereon to the next big thing, the are not leaving the DT market, but lets just say Intel will do everything include brainwashing to ensure they hold 70% market share.
m
0
l
!