High Performance, Good Looking case.

GameReplays_Hobo_

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Im in a very large pickle.

I need a high performance, good looking, quiet, case.

i was looking at the tsunami, i like the look, and the p180b has good airflow, but isnt great on looks and sucks at cable managment,

under 150 please.

what do you suggest? Lian Lis have 80mm so that wont cut it :(

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
ONLY ! two 120mm fans...
i dunno many cases that even have 1... i think this is a well built case..
but still though... with this case I would put 2 more 80mm fans, on on the top of the case and one in the side of the case.... my current iCute case came with two 80mm fans like that, and I just added one more 120mm in the back of the case, and custom fitted a high flow 80mm fan right below the slots where my graphic card fits... so it can suck out all the hot air right below the graphic card that the 120mm fan cant get too....

panicatak

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
My Gigabyte 3D Aurora has 3 120mm Fans as standard!

to the OP I think it looks ok, certainly cools well!
although not every one likes the look

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
hmmmn, the case doesnt need that many fans stock, it just needs to be upgradible to that many fans.

btw that case comes with the 140mm and 250mm stcok, and is upgradable to 2 80mm or 1 more 120mm fan at the rear like i'm doing. Also... my friend always cuts a hole in the top of his cases and puts another fan there... just a thought 8)

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hmmmn, the case doesnt need that many fans stock, it just needs to be upgradible to that many fans.

btw that case comes with the 140mm and 250mm stcok, and is upgradable to 2 80mm or 1 more 120mm fan at the rear like i'm doing. Also... my friend always cuts a hole in the top of his cases and puts another fan there... just a thought 8)

The 140mm in front doesnt move much air, a good 120mm (not high performance) would move more.

as far as the side panel fan. it move..i think 50 cfm. its more or less there to help with air flow. the fan it self doesnt do much.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

The 140mm in front doesnt move much air, a good 120mm (not high performance) would move more.

as far as the side panel fan. it move..i think 50 cfm. its more or less there to help with air flow. the fan it self doesnt do much.

more surface area moves more air with less rpm, and anyway all the reviews i've seen have been very good for it, especially with a rear fan to get a channel of air from front to back.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
hows the armour on noise?

I have two reasonably quiet (14dB) 12cm fans on the front panel, one in back, a 9.2 in back and a 9.2 in the blowhole. I don't necessarily think of the Zalman 9500 as being loud, but when it runs up to full speed, it's the loudest sound source. There is a bunch of vent space on the Armor, so it will pass sound from the internals. I have not tried any of the sound absorbing materials because it's not loud enough to bother me.

You might take another look at the Lian Lis... They don't all have just 8cm fans. For example, the 60B plus II has two 12's and two 8's, one of them in the blowhole. I have not measured mine yet, but it sounds quieter than the Armor. Apples/oranges. The 60B Plus is an excellent case but may not have the look you want.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you recommend that power supply, or a case with that power supply, ever again, I'll beat you with it. That power supply really, truely sucks, try reading some reviews rather than spouting off about just anything that looks nice.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
If you recommend that power supply, or a case with that power supply, ever again, I'll beat you with it.

"Welcome back to the PC Case World Championships ladies and gentlemen. With round 1 in the books, it doesn't look like Adon can last much longer. Let's get some analysis from our expert power supply commentator, Cap Quadrail. Cap?"

"Yes in deed, Blowhole! In round 1, Crashman came out of the gate with both CPU fans on high. He pulled Adon's crappy Ultra power supply out of his Ultra Black Aluminus with a quick yank on the ATX cable then proceeded to give him repeated windmill whips to the back panel exhaust. I haven't witnesses such a sound beating since Archi Tecture urinated all over AMDi Fanboi's transformer back in '88. A sound cache thrashing if I ever saw one. Talk a bout a cold overclock! Back to you, Blowhole!"

"Thanks for those comments, Cap. The bell sounds the start of round two and Crashman is immediately all over Adon. He's clearly got Adon's front side bus bandwidth fully saturated and look at that, he's starting to loosen Adon's CPU HSF retaining screws! AS5 is foaming out all over the RAM and Adon is clearly staggering all over the ring. That's gotta hurt. It looks like most of Adon's apps are latched and I see his CPU temps are rising on his Speedfan panel. This one won't last much longer. There it goes, Adon's got the BSOD all over his LCD. Crashman stands back, windmill's Ultra PS and rams it right up Adon's wide open PCI slot. Adon goes down hard and the ref calls the bout. Crashman retains his World Championship!!! The crowd goes wild!"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Ultra X2 550W was the very first power supply over 400W rating I've tested to power down while attempting to power up a 50W drive cluster. I've tested a lot of power supplies. Fortron Source 300W beats Ultra 550W during load transitions? Ouch.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The Ultra X2 550W was the very first power supply over 400W rating I've tested to power down while attempting to power up a 50W drive cluster. I've tested a lot of power supplies. Fortron Source 300W beats Ultra 550W during load transitions? Ouch.

I don't doubt it a bit. I got to troubleshoot a P3 box on a job a few months ago and as soon as I saw it had an Ultra PS, I checked its output. Quick fix. It sat on the "free for the taking" bench outside my office for months till one of the electronics shop leeches finally carted it away.

NZXT_dood

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Heyy. Here's my opinion ( it might be a tidbit biased :D ). The NZXT Apollo is really a good case for the value, at $69 it comes standard with two 120cm fans ( 21 dba ) and screwless installation. If your looking at something light, sleeker, then the Lexa is a good choice ( 4 standard fans, one is 80mm ). For expandibility i think the Armor is a good choice also. I think what you need to find out is what look and features you are looking for. Everyone's got different needs :) Don't hesitate to email me at designer@nzxt.com if you have questions. If you find any problems with your NZXT case ( if you get one ), i can also help you at that address.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Heyy. Here's my opinion ( it might be a tidbit biased :D ). The NZXT Apollo is really a good case for the value, at $69 it comes standard with two 120cm fans ( 21 dba ) and screwless installation. If your looking at something light, sleeker, then the Lexa is a good choice ( 4 standard fans, one is 80mm ). For expandibility i think the Armor is a good choice also. I think what you need to find out is what look and features you are looking for. Everyone's got different needs :) Don't hesitate to email me at designer@nzxt.com if you have questions. If you find any problems with your NZXT case ( if you get one ), i can also help you at that address.

I have an NZXT lexa, i wasnt "amazed" by it. its a decent case.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Lian Li PC-60 Plus II. Comes with 2 120mm fans and 2 80's. But why don't you want 80mm fans? These are pretty quiet. Just get a fan controller and set all the fans to medium speeds. They'll cool about the same with much less noise. My case is almost silent even with the 4 fans going at the same time.

I plugged all the fans into the motherboard and set the Asus Q-Fan controller to "Optimal." Silent case.