Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cosmos 2 Fan

Last response: in Components
August 23, 2012 1:12:56 AM

Hi,
I recently built my first computer using the Cosmos 2 case and am unsure about setting up the best airflow inside the case. It runs fine, no overheating or anything, but I've noticed there are extra places where I could add fans, but I am a total newb when it comes to this. Are the stock fans fine alone, or is there something better I could add/replace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : cosmos fan

August 23, 2012 1:28:11 AM

if you are not overheating now and you are not overclocking anything then the stock fans should be good enough....to be sure run a program called core temp and gpuz when you game to log the temps of your cpu and gpu....report back with the info...also what cpu/gpu do you have in your system?
August 23, 2012 3:59:08 AM

Most cases wil come with a couple of fans and then will have places to add more of the same or different sizes. When adding case fans you want to be carefull your not adding a lot of noise so the selection of the fans to be added has to be a combination of low noise (dba) and high air flow (cfm). You also want to have a good air flow so the number blowing in should match the number blowing out.
The Cosmos 2 is a big full tower and has a lot of places for fans and comes with a lot of fans. So you will need to look in your case and see how many it came with and how many you can add and the sizes. then you have to see which way the fans that you have are blowing ( in or out). Then you can decide if you want to add any. If the inside tep is ok then you may not have to add any. If the inside is on the warm side you may want to add and the places to add will be the side panel and the top.

Cougar Turbine CFT12SB4 120mm Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a package of four fans and they are low noise (17 dba) and good air flow (60 cfm) and you can put two in the side and two in the top with the side blowing in and the top blowing out.
Related resources
August 23, 2012 4:10:31 AM

drums101 said:
if you are not overheating now and you are not overclocking anything then the stock fans should be good enough....to be sure run a program called core temp and gpuz when you game to log the temps of your cpu and gpu....report back with the info...also what cpu/gpu do you have in your system?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

In game the CPU seems to stay around 48-51 degrees and the Gpu doesn't go above 65. The numbers went down really quickly when I alt tabbed out the game so I ran the bench mark software that came with my GPU and the highest the CPU got was 51 and the GPU 78.

The CPU is a 3930k and the gpu is a gtx 680 evga version.

August 23, 2012 4:41:16 AM

those are fine temps I would say you do not need any more fans unless you plan on overclocking your gpu/cpu....and FYI to get the actual temps while you are in game you could do two things....either have multiple monitors and run the programs on the second monitor checking continue to refresh while in background or if you do not have two monitors you can check log to file which will create a text document you can review after you are done gaming. not a big deal just makes life easier for next time
August 24, 2012 4:21:14 PM

drums101 said:
those are fine temps I would say you do not need any more fans unless you plan on overclocking your gpu/cpu....and FYI to get the actual temps while you are in game you could do two things....either have multiple monitors and run the programs on the second monitor checking continue to refresh while in background or if you do not have two monitors you can check log to file which will create a text document you can review after you are done gaming. not a big deal just makes life easier for next time

Ok, thanks. Do you think it would be worth it to overclock a 3930k? Is it going to make a noticable difference?
August 24, 2012 4:42:37 PM

ehh you probably wont get any noticeable differences...what cooler do you have on the cpu? if you feel adventurous you could do it
August 24, 2012 5:48:15 PM

The 3930K was made to overclock and depending on how high you want to go will depend on how much difference you will see.
The Sandy Bridge-E is an i7 processor that has an unlocked multiplier and can be overclocked quite a bit and you will need a good cpu heatsink fan to cool it.
If you got it up to 4.5ghz or 4.6ghz your computer will be very fast and you will notice it.
August 24, 2012 5:49:49 PM

I have the phanteks ph-tc14pe with 3 fans.
August 24, 2012 5:54:49 PM

That should take care of any heat and allow you to go as high as possible with air cooling. If that cooler doesn't work then you have to switch to water cooling. So you may get to 4.7 or 4.8 ghz with that heatsink. But it will take you a bit of time to do so since you don't rush overclocking and you can end up with a super fast computer.
August 24, 2012 6:02:05 PM

Oh, alright I will have to look into that more and maybe try it out over the weekend. This computer amazes me already because of how it is so much faster than any computer or laptop I've ever had before, I'm interested to see how it could be even better. Would the case fans be ok for overclocking, or is there anything I should add?

Best solution

August 24, 2012 6:14:59 PM

The case fans are there for giving the inside of the case good air flow and keeping cooler air inside it so that the devices that have fans will have cooler air to blow through the heatsinks. Devices like the video card , ram and cpu all have some sort of heatsink attached to cool the device and the cooler the air it can use the more efficient the fan/heatsink will be.
A good setup will have one or two fans in the front blowing in , then one or two in the side panel blowing in also , then one at the rear of the case blowing out and finally one or two in the top blowing out. So with all these spots available you can have the same amount blowing in as you have blowing out so you then have good air flow.
August 30, 2012 2:26:29 PM

Best answer selected by Ericleonhart.
!