Hertz v uArch

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Ok....so all the talk of dual core v single, Core 2 v AM2, wgich proc should I get high end or low end.....

Here's my question....(I'm an AMD guy..see sig)

Isn't the question how much time do I have?

If I'm ripping a DVD on one drive and writing one on the other....my proc is still going to hit 100%.....isn't the question really "How long do I want it at 100%?"

Isn't that the question of clock speed?

We know games are GPU limited, so shouldn't the proper answer (to all those who say cpu @x.xx or cpu @x.xx) be," Well, how important is time for you?"

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
the correct question will always be "how much time can I save?". When you are talking about computing, people always want to do everything as fast as they can, the faster the better. Hence, they will want the fastest CPU which they can afford.

We know games are GPU limited, so shouldn't the proper answer (to all those who say cpu @x.xx or cpu @x.xx) be," Well, how important is time for you?"

not all 3d games are GPU limited, most but not all. Stragtegy games, MMORPs which ultilize heavy AI computing ,at time, can bring even the beefiest CPU to its knees.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok....so all the talk of dual core v single, Core 2 v AM2, wgich proc should I get high end or low end.....

Here's my question....(I'm an AMD guy..see sig)

If I'm ripping a DVD on one drive and writing one on the other....my proc is still going to hit 100%.....isn't the question really "How long do I want it at 100%?"

Isn't that the question of clock speed?

It's human nature to always want "more" or "better". Lots of us have a house that's bigger than we really need. Or we have vehicles that are fully loaded(as if power windows is a necessity) with luxuries and gimmicks that aren't "must have's." Same with hard drives...many people have 250GB HD's and have 10-15GB of data on them, but it's nice to know that it's there, should you need it some day.