CPU over heating way to easy

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hi guys, I have an intel core i5 2500k with stock CPU FAN not overclocked with a Cooler Master Elite 430 case and an extra fan on the end. When I'm browsing the internet or doing light work my CPU temperature stays at around 50 degrees C. However once I start gaming or open up resource hogging programs my CPU temperature jumps to around 80-90 degrees Celsius. Right now I'm holding off on gaming until I can find a good way to keep my CPU temp lower. Do you guys have any recommendations to bring my temps down? Thanks

[kenvin most time with stock heat sinks and that temp your showing you dont have the stock heat sink legs on right so that the heat sink not sitting all they way down on top of the cpu. i would check that the legs and heat sink are down all the way or buy an after market heat sink that has a back plate and screws.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That case has a top vent, side vent, and with 2 fans shouldn't be overheating. 1) What are you using to read your temps. 2) Are you sure the heat sync fan is mounted securly to the CPU? Be sure the cooler's black feet are flat against the board, and check that the push pins opened behind the motherboard correctly. If the HS/F isn't making tight contact with the CPU's heat spreader, the heat transfer will be poor.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2677

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I used both the asrock extreme tuning utility (from my motherboard) and coretemps, Ill check my CPU fan again to make sure.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

On further inspection I've made a foolish mistake and did not install my CPU fan all the way. I'm guessing I have to remove everything resintall the fan and put everything back in the case? Or is there an easier and safe way to do it? Thanks

depends on your case..if your case has a a cut out for the cpu/heat sink then you should be able to open the other side of the case and fix the issue. (sometime pushing down on the legs can lck them in.) if not you have to pull the mb out. if it the white clip not in all the way on the other side of the mb. you can unlock the leg of the clip then use a pair of needle noise to sqeeses the clip and push in through.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

My case does have a cut out which is good. However my fan has 2 sides which are secured and 2 sides where the black thing just barley goes into the white thing. Do you think I will have to pull my mobo out?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You may be able to unlock the push pins and pull them up to unseat them. But try not to remove the cooler from the CPU. Then reset them and push them back in using a cross-corner pattern approach. Keep a little pressure on the cooler as you do it.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

When putting in the CPU cooler i remember the motherboard bending while I pushed the cpu fan in, do you think that will be safe while being mounted to my case?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The short answer is yes. But If it were mine, I would remove the board and lay it on an insulated surface like the foam pad it shipped with. That way you can better determine what is happening with the pushpin feet as you seat them. If you end up removing the cooler from the CPU, I would clean the TIM off and apply new.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you have access via a back cutout you an probably help support the motherboard with your spare hand whilst you secure the pins. Never been keen on the intel push pins, a bit fiddly but usually secure once done.

You need to turn the push mechanism anticlockwise (think 90deg from what I remember) and you should be able to remove it. You can see from the back of the board how the pins are.

InvalidError

Titan

Using pliers to squeeze/push pins from the back side is unnecessary and can damage them. If you "unlock" and pull out the center pry/lock-pin from the spread-pins, the plastic clip can be easily pulled out with the rest of the HSF once all four pins have been pulled.

Push-pins come out effortlessly once the center locking pin is pulled out.

InvalidError

Titan

You can try re-setting the pins in-place.
- Turn the improperly set pin 'heads' in the unlocked position
- Pull the pins, they should come up about 1/4"
- Put the pin back in the 'locking' position
- Push on the frame "leg" and the opposite corner of the pin you are attempting to seat - you should be seeing the pin's white "claw" coming out the PCB's back side
- Push the center pin back in, you should hear a 'click' once it has gone in as far as it needs to go, you should now seeing that the "claw" has spread out, snugly locking the HSF onto the motherboard
- Repeat with remaining pins that are not set properly.

If you seem unable to push all pins in, the heatsink may be wedged in a crooked position within the fan frame, in which case you will have to pull the HSF out, un-stuck it and re-install.