Graphics cards compatible with IP-95 motherboard?

James_0

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I have a machine with an ABIT IP-95 motherboard and a GeForce 7300GT GPU, and the GPU has recently stopped working. Since prices for the 7300GT appear to be higher than those for slightly newer cards, I decided to replace it with a 8400GS. This is a PCIe 2.0 card, but I was under the impression that that shouldn't cause problems. The new card doesn't work at all on this machine (there is no output to the monitor). After searching for a while, I found various forum posts (like this one) that seem to suggest that this motherboard is not compatible with PCIe 2.0 cards, but nothing definitive - can anyone confirm that? I can't even work out for sure whether the motherboard has PCIe 1.0, 1.0a or 1.1 - this Dutch post seems to say it is 1.0a?

If that is the problem, is there any way of getting the GPU to work with the motherboard? If not, how do I know what GPUs will work? Should any PCIe 1.0, 1.0a, or 1.1 be compatible? And can anyone recommend one that is likely to be cheap (and not a significant step backwards from 7300GT)? If a GPU just says it is 'PCI Express' or 'PCI Express x16' can I assume it is 1.x?

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

I don't have a solution to your current problem, but I do have a question about your old set-up. I have that same aBit IP-95 motherboard and I cannot disable the onboard video so that I can run a PCI GeForce 8400GS card. How were you able to disable the onboard video of that board to run your GeForce 7300GT? My current problem description can be found here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318316-30-abit-onboard-video#bas). Thanks for any info you can provide.