PEGATRON (Asus) M2N68-LA, upgrade CPU to quadcore???

brodius

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello, I am trying to find a quad core CPU that is compatible with my motherboard. Not sure if I need one for an AM2+ or AM3 socket (not sure what the difference is). I have a 400w PSU. Any advice would be very helpful.

Motherboard - PEGATRON (Asus) M2N68-LA

Phenom II X4 955/945/940 etc, but they MUST have the "95w" labeling or it's a dead give away they're black edition chips :)

However, since the Phenom II's are discontinued now, it may be hard to find on newegg, amazon, and the like.

Noodl

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I too am in the same boat here, with (I think) the same motherboard.

The Pegatron M2N68-LA (Narra5) GL6 is an AM2 board, which supports AM2+ and therefore TDP's of no higher than 95watts.

I was looking at the 925 which would fit all the bills apart from the fact it's an AM3, which without a Bios update, wouldn't work. I think that all models beyond the 925 are 125 Watts or higher, therefore the 925 is probably the highest Phenom ii you could upgrade too.

I'm considering upgrading my CPU which is a Phenom i x4 9650, and I don't quite know if there are any bios updates for the board to allow AM3's.

Does anyone know if there are Phenom ii's that are AM2+ at 95 watts that would be worth upgrading from a 9650?

You can use AM3 CPU's inside AM2+ boards :) The Phenom II's all have DDR3 and DDR2 memory controllers so you're pretty much set there.

Also on the high end of the Phenoms, there are two versions - Black Edition and Normal. You can tell which is which by looking at the TDP of the CPU. ALL Black Edition chips will have a TDP of 125w, they will sometimes have a non-BE which has a TDP of 95w.

The Phenom II X4 955 is a great example, the BE is 125w, normal is 95w :)

Noodl

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The motherboards socket is an AM2, and the CPU I have right now is an AM2+, I don't think AM3's fit in AM2's unless I'm (hopefully) wrong :)

It would be a rather pleasant upgrade to a 925/955.

brodius

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
The Bxx is a business class. They are chained down to 95W and generally were shipped to OEM in flats.

I have collected up almost enough used junque to put together an FX8xxx box on an Asus board. But, I have had a work load increase and the CQ5210f with its NARRA5 is falling behind.

What I found. Year before last the native athlonIIx2 215 was intolerable. So, I picked up a phenomII B55 on ebay for $40.00. The narra5 started up, windoze got a driver and it worked a little faster. Only a little. The BIOS which HP will NEVER update sees the B55 as some AMD dual core and runs but all bells and whistles are grayed out. The strength of the core overcomes that so it is slightly better than the Athlon II x2 215. After a long "arewethereyet" daily email to support. Last month they updated the CQ5210f page to say Phenom II x3 and x4 under 95W is a go.

I think I will go ahead and buy the b97 on Ebay, and if the Narra5 Bios just sees a generic quad core. I will take Narra5 out to the country for skeet practice and pick up a cheap $30.00 micro ATX and use the n97 on that. As long as it is still getting some work load out, no need to totally trash it. It is at this point just slightly faster than the native 215 cpu.

I know this thread is very old, but the problem is still out there.