Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Poor FPS even on low settings

Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2012 6:45:05 AM

For awhile I've been having this issue. More demanding games like BF3 will NOT run any better than about 40 fps on my computer. This goes across the board for all games using DX11. Even something simple such as scrolling through google images causes stuttering or using click and drag across the desktop is jittery like the FPS is dropping just from clicking and dragging my mouse over icons

Phenom II X3 (unlocked to X4) 2.8ghz
5870 1gb
Windows 7 64bit
700w ocz stealthxtreme 2 psu
4gb ddr3 1600
Playing at a resolution of 1920x1080, low settings (problem most noticeable in open world games. GTA4, Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, Fallout, MMO's). Example: as I enter a town area in an open world game, my FPS drops considerably which is normal maybe on higher settings. But this happens on low settings.

What I've done already:

1. Resinstalled and reformatted Windows 7 3 times so far
2. Checked CPU temps which are somewhat troublesome. Prime95 will get up to 60 degrees in a matter of maybe 10-15 minutes but level out around there (with no overclock). It never really goes above 60. While gaming it is only about 58 max but the temps INSTANTLY drop when I take the game off the screen. So it could be higher.
3. Replaced both my GPU and PSU.
4. I've been told it is a bottleneck, but I don't believe it. There's no reason for me to get the same FPS no matter what settings I choose. (bear in mind, I get about 100-120 fps just staring at nothing, then it drops to about 30-40)
5. Drivers always up to date

I am RMAing my CPU and getting a knew one. But if that doesnt fix the problem then wtf is going on? My computer has been like this since I bought it in 2009.

More about : poor fps low settings

a c 218 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:17:09 PM

Have you tried a lower resolution? Have you updated the bios on the motherboard?
I had a probem where the games would continually crash and I had three video cards and thought it was one of them but by process of elimination I was able to rule them out so then I thought it was the cpu , then the hdd and Windows untill finally I found that it was the motherboard. I sent it in RMA and got it back , they said it was a defective bios chip and have been problem free since. I never thought it could be that so you really can't rule out anything.
It may be something with your motherboard and the slot or the bios.
Score
a c 144 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 10:43:28 PM

turned off aa and af?
Score
Related resources
August 24, 2012 4:05:39 AM

Well, everything in my computer can be RMAed by December and my memory is lifetime RMA, so if worse comes to worse and AMD sends me a new CPU and it still doesn't work, I can send everything else back and get them replaced.

Yes, I have tried turning off AA and AF. Lowering the resolution does give me more frames, but even then frame rates are abnormally low for how bad the graphics are.

The one thing I did not do was update my BIOS. Never updated a BIOS before, so I was worried about it. Does anyone know if a BIOS update is needed for AMD CPU's? Or just needed in general?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H

edit: Forgot to add, that this is not just isolated to gaming. HD video screen tears, and really high quality movies have fps drops in actions scenes, drag and drop windows stutter and don't look like they're moving at a smooth framerate.

For example, I have two monitors. Dragging the browser window I'm on right now over to the other monitor doesnt happen smoothly, it stutters over to the other side in less frames. (if that makes any sense). Pretty much like any stutter you would see except all the time, on every program, game, windows desktop etc.
Score
August 28, 2012 11:30:30 PM

I guess I'm not going to get any help.
Score
a c 144 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 12:27:12 AM

How are the slots on your motherboard populated?
How many monitors are connected to your video card?
Post cpuz and gpuz shots plz. Trying to get an idea of what your setting are becuse its sounds like you are either not at 2.8 on your processor or in 1x mode on your video card or the HT bus is way slow... something.

remove any overclock and unlock, reset cmos to factory. Problem still there?
Score
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 1:10:19 AM

Upgrading your GPU would be a good idea. Dont know much else u could do
Score
August 29, 2012 3:44:27 AM

popatim said:
How are the slots on your motherboard populated?
How many monitors are connected to your video card?
Post cpuz and gpuz shots plz. Trying to get an idea of what your setting are becuse its sounds like you are either not at 2.8 on your processor or in 1x mode on your video card or the HT bus is way slow... something.

remove any overclock and unlock, reset cmos to factory. Problem still there?

Thanks Popatim. My GPU is the only thing filing any slots. I have two monitors connected to my GPU, but the problem persists with even one monitor plugged in. Lots of screen tearing with pretty much everything from flash video, dragging and dropping windows/other things, games etc. No overclock at all. I've removed the unlocked core several times before, makes no difference. Reset CMOS I haven't done I don't think. This problem existed the moment I got my computer. So with all default settings there were still issues.

Both PSU and GPU have been upgraded/replaced. No bottleneck since my previous GPU was a 512mb 4870. Problem existed then. I've chalked it up to being a hardware issue so I'm RMAing my CPU. I'm just trying to figure out if there might be something I missed. I've tried everything that I can think of. I've reinstalled Windows several times and no improvement.

Does this sound like a faulty hardware? Maybe I need to update my BIOS? The last BIOS "date" on CPU-Z is all the way back to 2009. I think it is either my CPU, memory, or motherboard that is causing the issue but I'm not sure.
Score
!