Sign in with
Your question

$500 3d modeling/animation vid compositing rebuild review

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2012 5:18:04 PM

Hello,
I'm looking at spending about $500 on rebuilding my desktop after an unfortunate power supply explosion. I have the new psu already and a radeon 6700series that still works.
I'm looking at purchasing the following :
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Mobo $119
Intel Core i5-2400 cpu $189
2X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ram $93
SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II $129

That all comes to roughly $500. Does that sound like a reasonable setup for the cash ?

Also, I now have a 2TB, a 1.5 TB, and 2X .5 TB sata drives that got blown out by the power supply while powered down. I'd really like to get the data off of them/repair them but I'm not sending them in anywhere. Any kits out there or links I ought to follow for repairing the controllers on these things ? Is that even a reasonable expectation ?

Last question, the 2TB is still under warranty from WD. I would happily send it back to them if I could pull the data and wipe the drive first or if worst comes to worst just wiping the drive. How would I accomplish this when it wont power up ?
May 7, 2012 7:32:04 PM

pdxalex said:
Looks like pricing off newegg, save for the RAM (?) as you can get a pair of ripjaws for roughly half the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If you're set on that motherboard pick it up in combo deal with an i5 2550K:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

With the SSD you selected, price is basically same as your list.

WD won't be willing to cover warranty when the problem was your PSU, not their drive.

thank you for your response.
I was looking at picking up 2 of the 8Gig(4x4GB) ripjaw sets, but on further review I went to 1 set of (2x8) 16GB ripjaws.
comparable price and leaves 2 slots open for later.

As to the cpu choice, I'm curious if when using a vid card like my radeon if there is any benefit to rendering when I'm able to do GPU rendering with on cpu graphics included in the I4-2400 vs the I5-2550 with no on board graphics processing.

I'm not exactly set on that mobo, but I tend to trust gigabyte boards and I just don't know what other comparably priced board would be better.
I do like the slottage on this one, but it's not a deal breaker one way or the other.

The WD drive issue is a thorny one for me and they aren't specifically asking why the drive failed in the return policy afaict.
What I'd love to do is get my power company that dropped and restarted power to my house in rapid succession 3 times without warning the day before my original power supply started getting wonky and a week before it popped, but that seems like a pipe dream. For that matter my renter's insurance could conceivably cover it, but again it seems like a pipe dream
!