Need help with New Build

droylock2

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Im trying to decide a good cpu to use for gaming, I understand that the SB cpu is a great overclocker and still gains quite a bit performance. From reading alot of forums and reviews, I see that the new Ivy bridge cpu run hotter but less power.

My build so far:
CPU: Ethier being a i5 2550k, or and i5 3570k
CPU cooler: h100 or h80
MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16g
HD: Western Digital 1tb (alrdy own)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680
PS: Corsair AX 850
CASE: Either 650D or Corsair Vengeance C70 (soon to be released)

I wonder if the i5 2550k will perform and have the same features as if the ivy bridge would on the Asus sabertooth z77 motherboard? Im wanting this pc to last a good 5 years before a new one. I need people's opinion.

andystanley

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
-The ivy bridge uses less wattage but gets quite hot. You will not be able to OC as high as sandy bridge.

-The ivy bridge/z77 will support pci 3.0 much better than the sandy bridge. Using a pci 3.0 card+sandy bridge=The bandwidth cut in half.

-ivy bridge is 5%-10% faster than Sandy Bridge

Your system is using the 680(pci 3.0) so IB will support it much better.

4.5Ghz is around IB safe max(this this the equivilent of 4.7-4.9 on SB).
If you plan to go over 4.5 Ghz you should get a SB.

You will most likely want a IB to fully support your GPU,but if You want to OC more than 4.5Ghz then consider a SB

Hope I answered some questions.
good luck with your build!

droylock2

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Thanks! I appreciate your input, but is there any other suggestions on what case I should get? or cpu cooler? I need this system to perform and last a good 5 years before I build another one. Im into portability because sometimes I do LAN, and also im into top performance to get the best out of my components.