Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I skip this generation

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 23, 2012 11:32:08 AM

Im sitting on a LGA 775 DDR2 system , but Im thinking of skipping lga 1155/56 DDR3, to a newer generation which supposedly will have newer sockets for CPU's and off course DDR4 ,but the problem is I don't know when that generation will come .What do you think ?

More about : skip generation

a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 11:40:07 AM

It depends if your current setup does what you want from it that long

*EDIT* Your talking possibly up to 2 years
August 23, 2012 11:56:35 AM

I have a q6600 @ 3.0 so you see Im lacking on CPU power and games lag a lot
Related resources
a c 122 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 12:25:40 PM

lorik said:
Im sitting on a LGA 775 DDR2 system , but Im thinking of skipping lga 1155/56 DDR3, to a newer generation which supposedly will have newer sockets for CPU's and off course DDR4 ,but the problem is I don't know when that generation will come .What do you think ?

Haswell will come out in mid-2013 if Intel does not delay it for whatever reason and the standard/mainstream version will use DDR3. Haswell's successor will support DDR4 and allegedly integrates the IOH/PCH onto the CPU package as an MCM, which most likely means incompatible sockets.
August 23, 2012 12:45:37 PM

Yes, but Haswell may be delayed (like Ivy Bridge was) and haswell's successor may also be delayed, and then were talkin like a 2.5 year wait. And even if Haswell's successor does SUPPORT DDR4, that doesn't necssicarily mean that it will be in full-swing and readily-available by then. I dont think well start to see DDR4 on shelves and phasing out DDR3 until mid-2015. Just go for this gen, it's better to not have to wait almost 3 years, and there's no telling what kind of problems first-gen DDR4 products will have. Take the bird in the hand, my friend. I'd say if you buy Ivy Bridge now, then by the time DDR4 is in full-swing it will be just about time for an upgrade anyway.
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2012 12:46:19 PM

lorik said:
I have a q6600 @ 3.0 so you see Im lacking on CPU power and games lag a lot

I think you just answered your own question...
a c 122 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 1:05:35 PM

SniperNoSnipeee said:
and there's no telling what kind of problems first-gen DDR4 products will have.

Since Haswell and successors might support only a single DIMM per channel, chances of electrical problems in the memory bus should be much lower.

As far as control logic is concerned, there is not much difference between DDR1 and DDR4 other than updating the setup registers to accommodate higher latency timing values and IOBs with faster drivers. The storage matrices themselves have had the same fundamental structure for the past 20+ years so the likelihood of something going wrong there is very low since this has been brought down to a science a very long time ago.
August 23, 2012 2:57:17 PM

I had the same question for myself and decided to wait one more year for a ddr4 system.
a c 122 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 3:32:13 PM

theProbe said:
I had the same question for myself and decided to wait one more year for a ddr4 system.

Only the Xeon/Extreme version of Haswell will have DDR4. You will have to wait another year (late 2014) for Broadwell for mainstream DDR4 support.
a c 188 à CPUs
August 23, 2012 4:31:41 PM

You are gaming and using a processor that was released over 5 years ago and even having that processor overclocked you are still experiencing lack of CPU performance; it sounds to me like it is time to upgrade your system. Between a new CPU, board, a video card (that isnt bottlenecked by your old CPU) and maybe an SSD you should see a big improvement in system improvement.

There will always be some other big technology just around the corner the problem with this is that if you keep waiting for it that you will never enjoy what you were hoping to get out of the tech in the first place.
a c 473 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 2:52:12 AM

InvalidError said:
Only the Xeon/Extreme version of Haswell will have DDR4. You will have to wait another year (late 2014) for Broadwell for mainstream DDR4 support.


Hmm.... I though DDR4 wasn't going to hit the consumer market until Skylake in 2015.
a c 473 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 2:55:14 AM

lorik said:
I have a q6600 @ 3.0 so you see Im lacking on CPU power and games lag a lot


What graphic card do you have?

I have a Q9450 @ 3.0GHz with a Radeon HD 5850. I find it is still good enough to play games, however, a boost in video encoding performance would be nice. I plan on upgrading when Haswell is released next year. But there might be an outside chance that I will wait for Broadwell in 2014.
August 26, 2012 11:41:19 AM

jaguarskx said:
What graphic card do you have?

I have a Q9450 @ 3.0GHz with a Radeon HD 5850. I find it is still good enough to play games, however, a boost in video encoding performance would be nice. I plan on upgrading when Haswell is released next year. But there might be an outside chance that I will wait for Broadwell in 2014.


My GPU is radeon HD 5870 ,the other day I played Hitman absolution: Sniper challenge and fps seem to resolve around 30 fps with pretty low settings .
!