Should I skip this generation

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Im sitting on a LGA 775 DDR2 system , but Im thinking of skipping lga 1155/56 DDR3, to a newer generation which supposedly will have newer sockets for CPU's and off course DDR4 ,but the problem is I don't know when that generation will come .What do you think ?

InvalidError

Titan

Haswell will come out in mid-2013 if Intel does not delay it for whatever reason and the standard/mainstream version will use DDR3. Haswell's successor will support DDR4 and allegedly integrates the IOH/PCH onto the CPU package as an MCM, which most likely means incompatible sockets.

SniperNoSnipeee

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Yes, but Haswell may be delayed (like Ivy Bridge was) and haswell's successor may also be delayed, and then were talkin like a 2.5 year wait. And even if Haswell's successor does SUPPORT DDR4, that doesn't necssicarily mean that it will be in full-swing and readily-available by then. I dont think well start to see DDR4 on shelves and phasing out DDR3 until mid-2015. Just go for this gen, it's better to not have to wait almost 3 years, and there's no telling what kind of problems first-gen DDR4 products will have. Take the bird in the hand, my friend. I'd say if you buy Ivy Bridge now, then by the time DDR4 is in full-swing it will be just about time for an upgrade anyway.

InvalidError

Titan

Since Haswell and successors might support only a single DIMM per channel, chances of electrical problems in the memory bus should be much lower.

As far as control logic is concerned, there is not much difference between DDR1 and DDR4 other than updating the setup registers to accommodate higher latency timing values and IOBs with faster drivers. The storage matrices themselves have had the same fundamental structure for the past 20+ years so the likelihood of something going wrong there is very low since this has been brought down to a science a very long time ago.

InvalidError

Titan

Only the Xeon/Extreme version of Haswell will have DDR4. You will have to wait another year (late 2014) for Broadwell for mainstream DDR4 support.

You are gaming and using a processor that was released over 5 years ago and even having that processor overclocked you are still experiencing lack of CPU performance; it sounds to me like it is time to upgrade your system. Between a new CPU, board, a video card (that isnt bottlenecked by your old CPU) and maybe an SSD you should see a big improvement in system improvement.

There will always be some other big technology just around the corner the problem with this is that if you keep waiting for it that you will never enjoy what you were hoping to get out of the tech in the first place.

What graphic card do you have?

I have a Q9450 @ 3.0GHz with a Radeon HD 5850. I find it is still good enough to play games, however, a boost in video encoding performance would be nice. I plan on upgrading when Haswell is released next year. But there might be an outside chance that I will wait for Broadwell in 2014.

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

My GPU is radeon HD 5870 ,the other day I played Hitman absolution: Sniper challenge and fps seem to resolve around 30 fps with pretty low settings .