Sign in with
Your question

Need help troubleshooting my first build

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
May 7, 2012 6:28:18 PM

Alright so i've put together my first build following a Newegg video on Youtube. I tested everything outside the case and it worked fine, i got to the boot screen where it gave me a CPU fan error and said no keyboard was attached. All i had installed at that moment was the mobo, CPU, GPU and PSU. Now i have everything in the case and sometimes i can get it to boot to the same screen as before, sometimes not, it seems completely random. When i start it up, fans start for 1 second and then stops, an then they restart to stop again. I don't have an SSD yet, (should take a day or 2 to arrive) so i didn't bother going furthur in the boot screen. Below are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
Case: Lian-Li PC-K9B ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Everything is installed except the HDD and SSD. For the few times i managed to boot it, it was by holding the reset button after powering it up, but it doesn't always work. I want to try to get this fixed before i installed software and everything.

I've checked every cables and everything seems fine.

More about : troubleshooting build

May 7, 2012 7:10:28 PM

That's a nice build. The thing is I've never had the need to test my components outside of the case and I've built several and maintained systems. What sort of CPU fan errors are you getting?

The second thing is have you plugged your keyboard into every available port on your motherboard? Chances are good that there's a dead connector in there somewhere.
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:15:26 PM

wait until you've got a hard drive to put an OS on, it's probably restarting because there's nothing to boot, it's looking for an OS to load but can't find one so turns off.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2012 7:19:16 PM

not sure if repost but my post isn't showing up, anyway. The problem is probably that you havn't got an OS for the PC to boot, wait until you have a harddrive or SSD for the OS and an installation disc for the OS and try again.
m
l
June 8, 2013 2:53:03 PM

if this is a new build with no OS, mobo drivers or graphics drivers your usb3 ports won't work so make sure your plugging into usb2 ports
m
l
!