MXan

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my Asus notebook's graphic card. I've never done a laptop GPU upgrade, so its all new to me.

First question: does anyone know if the K72JK has a removable, or a soldered, GPU?

Second question: Does anyone know which cards are compatible with the K72J system?

Background info:
Asus K72JK system
Ships with Radeon HD 5145 card
Intel® HM55 Express Chipset

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On the VAST majority of notebook computers it is NOT possible to upgrade the GPU. Typically, this capability only exists on high-end gaming and workstation class systems.

That being said, you should contact Asus with this question. Not only do you need to ensure fit/form capability, but also heat and power compatibility as well.

Please post whatever they tell you.

MXan

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

That's good to know, although I heard somewhere that the 5145 is essentially a renamed 4-something model. Do you know if the 4 series was similar, and didn't need soldering? If they did require solder, the 5145 may be the exception to the 5 series rule.

I've seen youtube tutorials for upgrading GPUs on other, similar Asus models, so I kind of assume its possible. But not sure, and of course the manual is worthless. I tried to live chat Asus, but their system is down. I hate being on hold over the phone, so I'm waiting on a response to email instead.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Good luck. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

MXan

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Agreed. I'm afraid they will say, "You can't do that. Don't ever ask that. And if you tried it would void your warranty. And our secret police would have to kill you. If your doorbell rings, don't think twice about opening it wide." But who knows, maybe they will give me a straight answer.

bestlink101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

they just want u to buy another laptop,

bestlink101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

i meant the 5 series for the motherboard, it is a 5 series intel chipset, discrete laptop video cards doesnt have to be soldered unless the motherboard requires it, sandy bridge requires it but the previous generation doesnt...

according to notebook check amd radeon 5145 is a renamed 4570, meaning it is 55nm, i think it could be upgraded, i would open up the laptop and check to see if it is soldered or not

MXan

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Ah, good to know. Sorry I misinterpreted the series 5 thing.

Opening up the case may tell me if its soldered or not, but what I most need to know (and don't know how to find out) is what cards are compatible with my rig. Fun as dismantling laptops is, I'm fairly busy with school and won't make the time until I know a few cards that might work.

MXan

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
"Dear Valued Customer,

For your question, I'm sorry to tell that graphics card upgrade is not supported by asus at present, so there're no compatibility test reports we can provide.
Hope for your understanding.

Best Regards,
Eleven
ASUS Customer Service"

I'm not sure who Eleven is, but he/she/it obviously isn't a native English speaker. But at least its an honest and straightforward answer.

So, anybody have any suggestions on how I might figure out what cards are compatible with my rig?

joe_60

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I have to say that ASUS has some of the best and most of the worst technical support on my last call in to them I got frustrated and gave up. I am working with a K72J and I am about to give up entirely with ASUS (still under warranty and just sick of the RMA crap they put you through anyway) and upgrade this thing on my own. I am wondering if anyone has found a compatible high end graphics adapter that I can add to improve the graphics performance of this off the shelf doorstop.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Limits refresh (don't give me crap about laptops not using refresh rates. This was supposed to be a 120Hz monitor and graphics card but the government purchasing office knew less about computers than most elderly people. I have been told the screen is upgraded but they didn't have an upgraded video card and they rushed the job...bs.)

It gets warm and the Graphics card crashes and resets when I am playing FPS games to release stress between finals and that doesn't help at all.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Hijacking an older thread will not get you much help. Start a new thread and see if that generates any responses. Good luck!