thesh0gun

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I'm thinking of getting 2 of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

They're really cheap and have aftermarket cooling, 2 will be $420. I will have a 750w psu. The only thing I'm worried about is the 1GB RAM, in games like BF3 would still perform the same if it goes over 1GB? Or should I get a 7950/GTX 670/680(When it comes out)

Also if I do get a 7950 or one of the cards from the 600 series, I will not be planning on SLI/CFX.

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Don't get two. Memory over 1gb will affect performance POSITIVELY at higher resolutions, you won't see much difference because of the memory at say, 1080p.

I would personally wait for the 670 if I were you. It's supposed to have 10% increase in performance over the 7970. Here's a chart showing what the 600 lineup should look like, what it should cost, when they're coming out, all that good stuff: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeForce-600-Series,14642.html

I personally suggest the 670/680, although the 680 will probably be out of your budget range. If you don't feel like waiting I say this: wait.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I disagree with the previous poster. If pricing trends hold, the 670 is likely to be priced farther north than that couple of 560 Ti's will run you and will yield slower performance. $420 spent now on those 560 Ti's will net you a solid solution that should be good for a few years and when it does come time to upgrade you can probably still get some cash for your old cards via CL or eBay.

I like the 560 Ti's so much that I've bought two SLI setups for two machines. One with 1GB cards and another with 2GB cards. I don't have BF3, but Skyrim with HD textures and full/ultra details at 1080p runs without bottle necks on either setup. Typical memory usage is in the 800-900MB range though so I could certainly see it happening at higher resolutions or with multiple monitors.

thesh0gun

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Well I'll only be playing at 1080p, but if the 670 is really $500 and is actually 20% better than the 7970 then I'll be getting it for sure.

Also has that chart been confirmed or what?

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, that's why they call it a leak. They're usually intentional, which is why they don't have to be confirmed. Plus, if Tom's posted something that wasn't confirmed, it would be categorized as "Rumor".

G

These speeds are just rumors i doubt these will get 20% better performance then a 7970.Lets see what the benches look like after they release

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
These speeds are just rumors i doubt these will get 20% better performance then a 7970.Lets see what the benches look like after they release

Would you please listen to what previous posters say and actually consider what they're saying? It would be labeled as rumor if it was RUMOR, like you claim it is. And you're right on the benchmarks front, we will be looking at them before purchase, but it's not like he can buy a 670 now, by the time he can get his hands on one there will already be benchmarks and confirmed specs so, I refer you to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

G

Uhh what dont you get?He could be waiting for no performance gain at all?Knowone even knows when they are releasing let alone the performance.Playing the waiting game on a card no one knows the release date on is even more idiotic.You also suggesting a card that hasnt even been released yet maybe you should look in the mirror.They could be a faliure like the gtx 480 fermi was.Please stop reccomending something you havent a clue about.Its like reccomending a game you havent even seen screenshots of yet.

G

I say get a 7970 and if the keplar looks better when it comes out sell off the 7970 and get a keplar.overclocked my 7970 beats SLI 560 ti

G

Ya but he is future proofing with the 3 gb vram.I had sli gtx 460's and without a doubt had much smoother gameplay with a single 7970 in all games.BF 3 i would get these little stutters from time to time from lack of vram.There is a reason 2 are cheaper then 1.He will have compatabilty issues with SLI trust me on that.I was able to run about half my games where sli actually worked and the other half i was stuck with a single gtx 460.This way he will have high frames all the time without worry if sli will work properly.If he had already had a gtx 560 ti i would say good choice to grab one more.For 30$ more he can get a 7950 and overclock it should keep with 560 ti very nicely

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
The memory issue can be easily resolved by purchasing the 2GB version of GTX 560 Ti. As for the SLI problem I've never had the stuttering issues or compatability problems and I've been running two machines with 560's in SLI for a year now (one with 1GB cards the other with 2GB cards).

G

So are you trying to tell me all games work with SLI? uhh ok whatever...2gb versions are more expensive 2 of those you can get a 7970.If he is going to spend that kind of money on 2 cards he might as well get the 7970 for basically the same price.Ive come from sli gtx 460's there is absolutley no reason to spend the same on 2 cards when one beats it for the same price.So you know my gtx 460's were 2 gb versions to