Graphics card not being recognized

I bought a Radeon HD 7970 (shoulda went with Nvidia, wow) and the system isn't recognizing it's there. It won't let me plug in my screen to it because if I try it just has nothing show up on the screen like the screen is idle, and I have to plug my screen into the motherboard to get anything to show up. Here are my specs: (taken from my post on the AMD forum)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU ( Brand / Model / Is the computer Overclocked, if so list CPU speeds, FSB, Memory speeds, Voltages etc. etc.): Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz x4 ~3601MHz not overclocked

RAM ( Brand / Model / Tell us the number of sticks and if you´re using different brands):
Vengance/ Don't know model don't need it/ 2 sticks/ same brands (4gb each)

Video Card ( Brand / Model / Is it overclocked, and if so, to what speeds and using what utility ): [PROBLEM] ATI HIS Radeon 7970 NOT OVERCLOCKED
PSU ( IMPORTANT !!! Brand & Model / Link to webpage with specs / manufacturer's website or picture of unit label ):
Coolermaster SilentProM 850W
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2948

Monitor ( Brand / Model / Connection used): Not relevant
Hard drives: Not relevant
Optical Drives: Not relevant
Additional PCI cards: None
Number of fans present: 7

PLUS the following:

Operating System : Windows 7 64-bit
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): AMD Catalyst 12.2 Pre-Certified driver for Windows Vista & Windows 7 64-bit (Doesn't help)
Motherboard Drivers Used: Don't know, probably not relevant
Apps/Games causing issues ( and if they've been patched ): N/A Not relevant
All major components check 100% after thorough testing ( eg. Memory & Memtest86 ): Yes
System clean of viruses / spyware etc: Yes, brand new computer
Other things tried:Following the install instructions and moving to new PCI slot because we messed up the first time.

Please help me. :[
1 answer Last reply
More about graphics card recognized
  1. You don't mention the motherboard you have. Some older boards require you to enter BIOS and set the default video from integrated to PCIe. Newer boards do this automatically.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics