Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card not being recognized

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2012 12:46:57 AM

I bought a Radeon HD 7970 (shoulda went with Nvidia, wow) and the system isn't recognizing it's there. It won't let me plug in my screen to it because if I try it just has nothing show up on the screen like the screen is idle, and I have to plug my screen into the motherboard to get anything to show up. Here are my specs: (taken from my post on the AMD forum)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU ( Brand / Model / Is the computer Overclocked, if so list CPU speeds, FSB, Memory speeds, Voltages etc. etc.): Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz x4 ~3601MHz not overclocked

RAM ( Brand / Model / Tell us the number of sticks and if you´re using different brands):
Vengance/ Don't know model don't need it/ 2 sticks/ same brands (4gb each)

Video Card ( Brand / Model / Is it overclocked, and if so, to what speeds and using what utility ): [PROBLEM] ATI HIS Radeon 7970 NOT OVERCLOCKED
PSU ( IMPORTANT !!! Brand & Model / Link to webpage with specs / manufacturer's website or picture of unit label ):
Coolermaster SilentProM 850W
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

Monitor ( Brand / Model / Connection used): Not relevant
Hard drives: Not relevant
Optical Drives: Not relevant
Additional PCI cards: None
Number of fans present: 7

PLUS the following:

Operating System : Windows 7 64-bit
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): AMD Catalyst 12.2 Pre-Certified driver for Windows Vista & Windows 7 64-bit (Doesn't help)
Motherboard Drivers Used: Don't know, probably not relevant
Apps/Games causing issues ( and if they've been patched ): N/A Not relevant
All major components check 100% after thorough testing ( eg. Memory & Memtest86 ): Yes
System clean of viruses / spyware etc: Yes, brand new computer
Other things tried:Following the install instructions and moving to new PCI slot because we messed up the first time.

Please help me. :[
March 5, 2012 2:07:44 AM

You don't mention the motherboard you have. Some older boards require you to enter BIOS and set the default video from integrated to PCIe. Newer boards do this automatically.

!