cpirie

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
My son and I are building Game machine - first time for us.

After connecting components when we turn on get following - fans run lights come on for about 15 seconds - then shuts down and repeats the cycle until we switch off the power - nothing shows on screen at all and no beeps from motherboard.

Intel Pentium dule core G860, and Gigabyte GA H61ma motherboard, Raidmax Atlas case. Checked all connections and memory.

checked processor and has a grey discoloration on top where it touches the heat sync we did not use any compound between heatsync and processor - can you advise?

mohit9206

Distinguished
the cpu must be overheating..you must apply that white paste on top of the cpu and spread it uniformly before attaching the heatsink.. the compound absorbs the heat and dissipates it towards the heatsink keeping the cpu cool..

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
The heatsink that came with the CPU already had a thermal pad on it, that's what you're seeing. Make sure everything is plugged in tight. Then do a quick test of the boot up - unplug the HDD, CD/DVD drive and anything else not needed to boot to the bios, leaving only the CPU, mobo, GPU and PSU.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

That's actually not what thermal paste does. All thermal paste is used for is to make sure there are no air bubbles between the CPU and heatsink where they aren't perfectly flat. If the PC isn't going to be turned on for long it's very possible to run without any thermal paste. I've had PCs run without it in school for over an hour with no issues - we weren't doing anything more than loading to windows.