Core i3 Mobile processor vs Desktop core i3 vs Mobile core i5

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
In- Detail .

Hello, on coming Monday I going to buy Dell inspiron 3250 . this latop have Core i3 2370M .

So, May I know 2nd GEN Core i3 Mobile Processor (2.4GHZ) is how many times higher than intel processor p4 3GHZ ?.

and in same way 2nd GEN Core i3 Mobile Processor (2.4GHZ) is how many times higher than intel 2nd Core i5 Mobile Procecssor ?.

and lastly May I know 2nd GEN Core i3 Mobile Processor (2.4GHZ) is how many times higher than Desktop processor 2nd gen Core i3?.

My one of friend saying it goes waste if you bought the core i3 2370M Laptop , he saying you need to buy core i5 Laptop . I know Core i5 is best , but I afford , my budget is limited to Core i3 latop.

My Requirement is as follows

1) I'm in need of running/using the laptop more than minimum 10hours per day.
2) every-time , for me there is need of running the 10-12 big applications simultaneously . such as 3 browsers , notepad++ , WAMP server , Adobe Photoshop . Antivirus . Music player . Download manager . Microsoft office 2010. these are all I must need to run plus all these are auto starts every-time I turn on PC/laptop.

So , does Laptop with Core i3 2370M mobile Processor fits my requirments ? this is my big question and worried question.

Please help only 2days left.

Thank you.

Solution
The desktop Core i3, and the mobile Core i3 and i5 are all dual core CPUs. The difference between the Core i3 and the Core i5 is that Core i3 lacks Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost is an automatic overclock which is featured in the mobile Core i5 CPU (of the 3 you are asking about) which allows to CPU to increase the clockspeed by 600MHz if only one CPU core is being used, or 400MHz if both CPU cores are being used. Unless the CPU temperature is too high.

For all intents and purposes a mobile core i3 should be nearly as fast as a desktop core i3 assuming both have the same clockspeed.

A Pentium 4 CPU is very slow compared to modern CPUs. It's obsolete.

The Core i3-2370m is more than enough for your needs.
This may help you if you can understand what I'm trying to tell you and if I can explain it right.
The core i3-2370M is a dual core mobile processor that has htperthreading , and because it has hyperthreading the core now has 4 threads which means that it can process 4 things simultaneously. You can have multiple programs open at the same time.
So yes an i5 would be better but an i3 is a very capable cpu and will work extremely well for you.

The desktop Core i3, and the mobile Core i3 and i5 are all dual core CPUs. The difference between the Core i3 and the Core i5 is that Core i3 lacks Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost is an automatic overclock which is featured in the mobile Core i5 CPU (of the 3 you are asking about) which allows to CPU to increase the clockspeed by 600MHz if only one CPU core is being used, or 400MHz if both CPU cores are being used. Unless the CPU temperature is too high.

For all intents and purposes a mobile core i3 should be nearly as fast as a desktop core i3 assuming both have the same clockspeed.

A Pentium 4 CPU is very slow compared to modern CPUs. It's obsolete.

The Core i3-2370m is more than enough for your needs.

Solution

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
The i3 should be enough for your needs. You *might* see a little faster buffering/processing/whatever you want to call it in Photoshop, but it shouldn't be that significant.

However, I would strongly advise against Dell. I have owned three, and they have all failed, trust me. I switched to HP last year and they are built much better and are much more reliable.

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thank you.

Great!. Very useful information you given . This is what info I was expecting and looking for .

one last question is can you please express in percentage the how much core i3 2370M mobile processor is higher than core i5 mobile processor ?. and also between core i3 2370M and desktop Core i3 . Please.

Between , I now confused between Brand , "nsouter853" answer is confused me about the brand . I was choosen Dell. Please suggest me Brand . only today and Saturday is left.

Thank you one again.

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thank you.

Great!. Very useful information you given . This is what info I was expecting and looking for .

one last question is can you please express in percentage the how much core i3 2370M mobile processor is higher than core i5 mobile processor ?. and also between core i3 2370M and desktop Core i3 . Please.

Between , I now confused between Brand , "nsouter853" answer is confused me about the brand . I was choosen Dell. Please suggest me Brand . only today and Saturday is left.

Thank you one again.

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thank you.

now,almost confusion is cleared about core i3M . but it would better for me to grasp and to understand more clearly if you expressed in percentage the how much core i3 2370M mobile processor is higher than core i5 mobile processor ?. and also between core i3 2370M and desktop Core i3 . Please.

and Please recommended me with which brand I go for . "nsouter853" confused me about brand.

Thanks.

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thank you.

but I confused about brand, don't know what to do . Are you sure - "I not to buy Dell ". how about "Asus" my all concern is Durability . may I know what will be the avarage life span of Laptop if used more than 10hours/day (I doo not have concern about battery).

app

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Okay, thank you. between, Please recommend me Laptop BRAND - Dell or HP or any else you recommend . my concern is with respect to durability .

popatim

Titan
I have had good results with HP/Compaq laptop and warranty support (except when going thru BestBuy) Asus can also be a good choice if you have warranty support in your area. MSI and Samsung, the few I have gotten to play with, have been nice units but I haven't had to send any back in under warranty to know how they are in that respect. I have a rule "Anything you carry, you will drop" so I like fast repair turnaround times which in turn needs good customer service. With HP/Compaq I know i can call them and send it in and it will be back in a few days. MSI and Samsung are only serviced by Bestbuy around here and BB (here) is absolutely horrible.

Like nsouter853 I have had horrible experinces with Dell over the last couople of years, to the point where I tell everyone considering them to keep far away. I would not purchase another Dell, ever, and if I were given one I would sell it as fast as I could. Bad products, horrible support, horrible customer service all seem to be the norm at Dell these days.