Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Corsair 500r Fan controller question....?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Fan Controller
  • Corsair
  • Fan Speed
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 23, 2012 5:45:39 PM

Hi Guys,

Today I bought a corsair 500r case..the case is very high-quality...however fan controller seems just bogus..I try switching fan speed from low to high..it does increase the fan speed but not noticeable... thus just want to know whether fan controller makes lot of difference in fan speed or this OK.. Because I read few forums the expert says the fan controller does not produce huge difference in fan speed..

Thanks...

More about : corsair 500r fan controller question

a c 79 ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 8:32:23 PM

What are the size of the fans that you are adjusting? I have noticed that the larger fans , those that are 200mm and larger while are very quiet don't seem to speed up very much and also go very fast at 100% speed.
If it's smaller fans that your adjusting then they may be low dba fans and also not go fast at 100% because they are designed to be quiet.
One thing you can try is to get another fan , one that has a high cfm and add it to the case (you can always use more fans) and see what the controller does with it.

bgears b-Blaster 140 140mm Case Fan $14.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If the top of the case can have a 200mm fan installed there then take the 200mm fan out of the side panel and put it in the top and get two of these fans for the side panel. The side panel will accomodate two 140mm fans and with these haveing a cfm of 103 you will have a fan that spins up quite fast and with the controller you should be able to notice a difference. You will also benefit from the added air flow blowing directly onto the motherboard at the spot where the video cards are and the cpu.
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:36:23 AM

inzone said:
What are the size of the fans that you are adjusting? I have noticed that the larger fans , those that are 200mm and larger while are very quiet don't seem to speed up very much and also go very fast at 100% speed.
If it's smaller fans that your adjusting then they may be low dba fans and also not go fast at 100% because they are designed to be quiet.
One thing you can try is to get another fan , one that has a high cfm and add it to the case (you can always use more fans) and see what the controller does with it.

bgears b-Blaster 140 140mm Case Fan $14.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If the top of the case can have a 200mm fan installed there then take the 200mm fan out of the side panel and put it in the top and get two of these fans for the side panel. The side panel will accomodate two 140mm fans and with these haveing a cfm of 103 you will have a fan that spins up quite fast and with the controller you should be able to notice a difference. You will also benefit from the added air flow blowing directly onto the motherboard at the spot where the video cards are and the cpu.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for ur quick response.. will do this later on due to budget issues... one more thing i could not change the side fan position.. its actually on intake position but want to change to exhaust.. when i tried it, i realize there are no holes on the other side of fan.. what to do.. ?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 24, 2012 3:41:06 AM

Yeah the Fan controller in big fans are not noticeable and the fan controller on the 500 R is not very good either. I used the integrated fan controller on my Phantom 410 case with all 140mm and 120mm and the difference is very noticeable.
m
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
August 24, 2012 3:41:44 AM

The side panel fan is a good spot for intake and should be kept that way , you will gain no improvment in air flow bu making it an exaust.
If ou want to go ahead anyway you can switch it with the rear fan , I'm sure that one has screw oles on both sides and the fan from the side can be mounted on the outsdide in the rear of the case and you won't see it anyway.
m
l