Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply keeps failing

Last response: in Components
August 23, 2012 5:59:53 PM

Hi,

I recently had a custom built PC ordered (specs listed below), in particular including a Corsair 850w PSU (CMPSU-850TX) which failed within 1 hour of arrival.

It was RMAd pretty quickly, came back, and worked fine for a day, until the system shut off and refused to turn back on, showing the exact same symptoms.
To me, this could be due to a number of reasons:
- The outlet
- The component not being replaced and just haphazzardly "fixed"
- Coincidence
- Improper build
- Incompatability between the other components.

I'm coming here because this is a big investment for me, and I really want to make it work, and am terrified that after it comes back after the second RMA, the same problem will happen again and the issue rears its head again. I'm mostly looking for advice on how to approach the issue, and what is most likely the cause. I am absolutely, 100% sure the PSU is failing, and I have tested it on both occasions before it was RMAd, so something somewhere related to the machine is causing it to happen, unless I am quite literally the most unlucky person ever.

Full Specs:
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU - Corsair 850W (CMPSU-850TX)
Memory - Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz
SSD - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III
HD - 1 TB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM
CPU - Intel i7 3770 Ivy Bridge
GPU - Gainward GTX680 4gb Phantom
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77) - VGA/DVI

More about : power supply failing

a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 11:48:50 PM

Using the correct lead to the 12v port next to the cpu? Some power supplies have more than one 4 pin or 6 and 8 pin leads (some are for the video card).
August 24, 2012 12:47:23 AM

internally all the cables seem from what I can tell correctly attached, confirmed by the machine working for an extended period of time before it shutting down and unable to turn back on.
Related resources
May 31, 2013 7:43:36 AM

Hello I been having the exact same issue with the exact same power supply. Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem. I had by first power supply for about a year and a half and it failed. Then I called Corsair and requested for a new power supply. I got the new power supply plugged it in and it worked fine for about two weeks. I request for another and with the 3rd supply it turn on fine when I first installed. But this one was about to start failing quicker and what i mean is. I turned it off after the first night and when I turned the computer on the following day it didn't want to turn on. I flipped the switch on the power supply and when back there I smelled the Ozone smell that you described. But I tried turning it on again and it finally turned on. I just haven't turned the computer off because it seems to perform fine when on.

Did you ever get an answer on what was causing the problem?

wordup834 said:
Hi,

I recently had a custom built PC ordered (specs listed below), in particular including a Corsair 850w PSU (CMPSU-850TX) which failed within 1 hour of arrival.

It was RMAd pretty quickly, came back, and worked fine for a day, until the system shut off and refused to turn back on, showing the exact same symptoms.
To me, this could be due to a number of reasons:
- The outlet
- The component not being replaced and just haphazzardly "fixed"
- Coincidence
- Improper build
- Incompatability between the other components.

I'm coming here because this is a big investment for me, and I really want to make it work, and am terrified that after it comes back after the second RMA, the same problem will happen again and the issue rears its head again. I'm mostly looking for advice on how to approach the issue, and what is most likely the cause. I am absolutely, 100% sure the PSU is failing, and I have tested it on both occasions before it was RMAd, so something somewhere related to the machine is causing it to happen, unless I am quite literally the most unlucky person ever.

Full Specs:
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU - Corsair 850W (CMPSU-850TX)
Memory - Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz
SSD - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III
HD - 1 TB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM
CPU - Intel i7 3770 Ivy Bridge
GPU - Gainward GTX680 4gb Phantom
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77) - VGA/DVI

May 31, 2013 1:41:16 PM

Okay after speaking to tech support for a while. I was told that on the motherboard controls the power supply and on the motherboard there is a capacitor that needs to completely discharge after you turn off the computer. So from what it looks like the motherboard is going bad. I requested for a RMA on the motherboard and I'll let you know if that fixes the problems once the motherboard is replaced.
May 31, 2013 10:53:41 PM

You are not supposed to turn off any motherboard at the power source until the led motherboard light has totally diminished.

edit - sorry, that didn't makes sense, what I meant to say was that you don't unplug the cord from the PSU until the motherboard light has totally diminished.

Edit 2- it's not the PSU, it's the motherboard and whatever else other PSU that you had previously that has done in the motherboard. It's not a manufacturing fault, it is a user fault.
!