Approximate Purchase Date: Mid - End May

Budget Range: $100 - $400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and internet

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, Case, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 max (I have a few smaller ones in the basement)

Additional Comments: I'll go ahead and list what in my old comp. I'm looking to upgrade it so my son can use it (and not touch my new PC) :kaola:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core (Stock fan)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)

HDD: 500 GB 7200 RPM

MB: ASUS M4N72-E AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD

PSU: Enermax Pro 82+ 625W

RAM: 4 GB

My son enjoys older games mostly and other games like minecraft so no worries about the vid card I would think.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
If its mainly for older games, I dont see where anything needs upgraded. For newer games a newer video card would help, or possibly more ram. As far as the cpu, I would just buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock it a bit. There arent any better cpu's out there for that rig that are worth it, and that cpu with the right video card will still run any game out there at the highest settings. Since thats not an am3 motherboard, I'm guessing you have DDR2 ram, but I dont think there would be much to gain by going to an AM3 board with DDR3 ram, considering the cost. Since it isnt really a bad rig, if you just wanted to spruce things up and make him feel like its something new, throw it all into a fancy case he might like. Get one with a few fans, good airflow and wire management, put the aftermarket cpu cooler on it, and you'll be all set for overclocking