GTX 560 heating problem

Hello, a few months back i bought a desktop computer (it's NOT custom built), here are the specs i know:
Intel® Core™ CORE I3-2130 3.4GHz 3M (Sandy Bridge)
8 GB DDR3 1333MHZ (dual channel mode)
1 TB SATAII, 7200 rpm
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB DDR5, HDMI
500W PSU
Some MSI MOBO

It may not be the best but it fit the budget fairly well. And i wasn't confidend with building my own.
With load the procesor would never exeed 55C but on some newer games the GPU heats quite alot.
On idle it's @37C (i think its OK) but on heavyer loads (i.e Sims 3, sanctum, bioshock2, crysis 2) it gets to 80+ C.
i never alow it to go above 85C as soon as i see it above, i start decreasing graphics properties.
I never have expirianced frame rate isues, but i'd rather play on 30 fps than let the GPU fry.

My PSU is probably quite shity so that might be causing the problem. But there is another thing: there is only 3 fans in the rig.
1 for the mobo MOBO (80mm), 1 for PSU and 1 for GPU (120mm), but it draws the heat to the bottom of the case, there is a way for air to escape from one side, but i'm not sure it's really efficient.
The holes in the back of the case are only used by PSU, so i guess i could install a fan there, but would that help.
Furthere more, is it possible to instal a heat sink to a GPU and would that help?
As far as i know the stock cooler of GPU can be changed, if so, should i go for faster or bigger fan?
14 answers Last reply
More about heating problem
  1. The max temp of the 560 is 99C, so it's not a problem so far.

Can you link to a picture of your system? There must be some way to improve the airflow.
  2. case? Which way the power supply facing?
  3. 80-85C is not that of a problem. Ensure its below 90C and that you should be fine. I have a Radeon HD5770 which works around 80-87 C while gaming, and i am gaming with that card for more than 2yrs now :sol: ...........
  4. I was going to make a new thread on the same topic until I saw this thread. I have MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II and the temperature went from 34C (idle) to max 71C(load) with stock speed. Tested while playing Modern Warfare 3 for an hour. My i5 2400's temperature went from 39C (idle) to max 65C (load) using stock fan. Got 6 case fans with 3 intake (front, bottom and side) and 3 outtake (back, 2 top). Using CM 690 case. The reason I made this into a big deal is that I assumed that MSI has the coolest cooling system for their GPU and I want to know whether 71C is acceptable or not? Thanks.
  5. spp85 said:
    80-85C is not that of a problem. Ensure its below 90C and that you should be fine. I have a Radeon HD5770 which works around 80-87 C while gaming, and i am gaming with that card for more than 2yrs now :sol: ...........

The core can survive that but remember the power vrm is at much higher temps than the core.

Use MSI afterburner and turn your fan speed to 80% or higher while gaming. Idle temps are good but load the card won't last no more than 6 months to a year if the power vrm is allowed to overheat.
  6. http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg618/grifinas/?action=view&current=Nuotrauka0158.jpg
    the pic is low quality, couldn't get it other way

There is barely any breeze from the GPU elevation holes.
    PSU blows air out through the back and down to the GPU (that's bad isn't it?), but i don't know wich way it's "facing"

I was thinking of buying 2 fans. Replace one with the stock gtx 560 fan, put the other one above GPU to keep hot air from PSU away from GPU aswel as cool it abit. Lastly put the old GPU fan below facing the holes to efficiently blow air out.
    But i'm not sure fans work that way, can you instal any fan anywhere and would that help in my case?

P.S. is this logic correct? blow cold air to hardware < blow hot air out < suck hot air out
  7. My sli 560ti's don't even reach that kind of temp!
  8. IIRC those temps are normal for GTX 560.
  9. OK so another question derived:
    If i buy two more fans, will their speeds be controlled by the MSI afterburner or will i have to get hardware to control them, because i've seen a hardware that's supposed to do that?
  10. two more fans for the case? yes you will need a fan controller for that. Afterburner is only for the GPU.
  11. You could use SpeedFan for that. It also controls the CPU fan. The settings for it you can find a guide for that here in TomsHardware.com
  12. You could use SpeedFan for that. It also controls the CPU fan. The settings for it you can find a guide for that here in TomsHardware.com
  13. Btw about my problem with max temperature of 71C while playing Modern Warfare 3, it has been fixed. Now the max temperature is 54C. Created my own fan system using MSI Afterburner.
  14. Try putting a fan in front of the HD blowing in and one in back blowing out.
    That usually works well.
    Someone told me about the GELID Icy Vision.
    http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=17&id=52&tab=1
    It looks cool to me ;-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics