Task Scheduler

I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me errors
saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info but
do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error saying
the task will not run if I do not put in a password.

How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password on
the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the only
one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter a
password each time I log in. Any ideas??
TonySper
7 answers Last reply
More about task scheduler

    If you don't want to password your account then you can create a separate
    account with which to run your tasks with.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me errors
    | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info but
    | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error saying
    | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    |
    | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password on
    | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the only
    | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter a
    | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    | TonySper

    If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..

    TweakUI for XP
    Logon
    AutoLogon
    [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    [Set Password]

    If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    Thank you both. Will work on it. Can not understand why if I do not
    use a password why the OS will not let me set up a schedule with a
    blank password. Will work on the Twek idea
    TonySper

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me errors
    | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info
    but
    | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error saying
    | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    |
    | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password on
    | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the only
    | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter a
    | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    | TonySper

    If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..

    TweakUI for XP
    Logon
    AutoLogon
    [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    [Set Password]

    If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    Thanks, the TweakUI worked fine. Allows me to start up without
    entering a password yet lets me use a password. If I hold down the
    shift key while in startup it asks for a password. Works OK Thanks
    Tony

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me errors
    | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info
    but
    | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error saying
    | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    |
    | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password on
    | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the only
    | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter a
    | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    | TonySper

    If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..

    TweakUI for XP
    Logon
    AutoLogon
    [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    [Set Password]

    If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    By default, Windows XP requires a password for a scheduled task. However,
    you may disable this with the following registry change:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa

    limitblankpassworduse
    Change the value in the Value Data box from 1 to 0

    Then, check the "Run only if logged on" box in the scheduled task.

    The task will now run without specifying a scheduled task password.

    "TonySper" wrote:

    > Thank you both. Will work on it. Can not understand why if I do not
    > use a password why the OS will not let me set up a schedule with a
    > blank password. Will work on the Twek idea
    > TonySper
    >
    > "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me errors
    > | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info
    > but
    > | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error saying
    > | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    > |
    > | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password on
    > | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the only
    > | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter a
    > | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    > | TonySper
    >
    > If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..
    >
    > TweakUI for XP
    > Logon
    > AutoLogon
    > [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    > [Set Password]
    >
    > If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    Thanks Curt,
    That is what I was looking for. I did make the other changes and it is
    working with the password but I have to do the same setup to 6 other
    machines and non of them use a password. I think your suggestion will
    work out better for my application.
    TonySper

    "TonySper" wrote:

    > Thank you both. Will work on it. Can not understand why if I do not
    > use a password why the OS will not let me set up a schedule with a
    > blank password. Will work on the Twek idea
    > TonySper
    >
    > "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me
    > errors
    > | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info
    > but
    > | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error
    > saying
    > | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    > |
    > | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password
    > on
    > | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the
    > only
    > | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter
    > | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    > | TonySper
    >
    > If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..
    >
    > TweakUI for XP
    > Logon
    > AutoLogon
    > [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    > [Set Password]
    >
    > If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

    Tony, I'm glad I could help.

    "TonySper" wrote:

    > Thanks Curt,
    > That is what I was looking for. I did make the other changes and it is
    > working with the password but I have to do the same setup to 6 other
    > machines and non of them use a password. I think your suggestion will
    > work out better for my application.
    > TonySper
    >
    > "Curt B" <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > By default, Windows XP requires a password for a scheduled task.
    > However,
    > you may disable this with the following registry change:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa
    >
    > limitblankpassworduse
    > Change the value in the Value Data box from 1 to 0
    >
    > Then, check the "Run only if logged on" box in the scheduled task.
    >
    > The task will now run without specifying a scheduled task password.
    >
    > "TonySper" wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you both. Will work on it. Can not understand why if I do not
    > > use a password why the OS will not let me set up a schedule with a
    > > blank password. Will work on the Twek idea
    > > TonySper
    > >
    > > "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "TonySper" <tsperduti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > > | I am trying to set up a scheduled task but it keeps giving me
    > > errors
    > > | saying the account info cannot be found. I set up the account info
    > > but
    > > | do not use a password on my account and it gives me an error
    > > saying
    > > | the task will not run if I do not put in a password.
    > > |
    > > | How do you set up a scheduled task if you do not have a password
    > > on
    > > | the account?? I do not use a password when I log in as I am the
    > > only
    > > | one using the computer and wanted to get away from having to enter
    > > | password each time I log in. Any ideas??
    > > | TonySper
    > >
    > > If you boot directly to the Desktop, then..
    > >
    > > TweakUI for XP
    > > Logon
    > > AutoLogon
    > > [Y] Log on automatically at startup
    > > [Set Password]
    > >
    > > If TweakUI is not installed on your system, then download it from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    > > Note: V2.10.0.0 needs at least Windows XP SP 1

Configuration Customization Windows XP