Need help deciding on i3 vs i5 processor

joliek

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,

Can anyone help? I'm buying my daughter her first computer and we have decided on a Sony Vaio. Should I get the i3 or i5 processor? She is going into high school and will be using it for school work, surfing the web, social media, netflix, games and pictures. Not sure I should spend the money to upgrade to an i5 but the Sony people say that I should if she is watching youtube and other videos. My IT friend says it is not necessary. I have an i3 that is over a year old and I have buffering issues when looking at videos. Not sure this has anything to do with it being an i3 but I wouldn\'t want her to have the same issues

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
An i3 is more than enough for school work, web surfing, youtube, etc. They are very fast, especially for their price range.

The only reason you would upgrade to an i5 would be for gaming or if your job/some type of advanced computer course required it. Even then, an i3 could handle it albeit a little less FPS.

Your i3 is not what causes buffering issues in videos, that would be your internet connection.

TRENDING THREADS