New photos of Humming birds

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 3, 2005 4:40:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi Guys

After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which I was
trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and I was
fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and resting. Please
have a look and give me your comments. Thanks Mike

The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn

More about : photos humming birds

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:40:14 AM

Mike wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod
> which
> I was trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet
> vine and I was fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both
> flying and resting. Please have a look and give me your comments.
> Thanks Mike
> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn

Those little guys are a delight and a challenge, aren't they? Thank
you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Good Start!
One of the real challenges of Bird Photography is to get close enough to
the bird so that it occupies at least 25% of the frame.
You can try to get physically closer to the bird or use a camera with a
10-12X Optical Zoom lens.
(Think Oly 770, Panasonic FZ Series, Canon S2 etc.)
Hummers introduce a special problem in that their bright, iridescent
colors are not due to pigmented feathers but to refractive optical
effects which in turn are extremely sensitive to bird/camera/sun
orientation.
Bob Williams

Frank ess wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which
>> I was trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet
>> vine and I was fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both
>> flying and resting. Please have a look and give me your comments.
>> Thanks Mike
>> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn
>

> Those little guys are a delight and a challenge, aren't they? Thank you
> for the opportunity.

July 3, 2005 11:41:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks, Mike,

Google "hummingbird photographs" and after looking around at a few of the
results, I think it would be instructive for the group if you gave us your
own critique of your photographs.

====

Charles T. Low
www.ctlow.ca/Photo - essay
www.boatdocking.com/Photos - gallery

====

"Mike" <love@suite224.net> wrote in message
> Hi Guys
>
> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which I
> was trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and
> I was fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and
> resting. Please have a look and give me your comments. Thanks Mike
>
> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Gary Eickmeier writes ...
>
>I didn't know birds could hum - what does it sound like?

Like tiny wings beating several thousand times per second.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:26:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Mike writes ...
>
>In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and I was
>fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and resting.
>Please have a look and give me your comments.

I would offer two suggestions ... one is to try to get a more pleasing
angle with the light. What you have in several of these is about 3/4
backlighting, for this type of shot ideally you'd want the light right
over your shoulder and at a low angle ("point your shadow at the bird"
as one pro says). I often shoot from 6 AM to 8 AM and then quit
because the light is getting too high and a bit hot where I live, for
example, unless it's a cloudy day.

The other suggestion is to try to isolate them a bit from the busy
background, if possible. I know it's easier to say this than to do it
but you asked and that's my input. Sometimes I can do this myself,
often I can't. Here are a couple of shots of hummers I took the past 3
weeks while photographing other birds ... the hummers just happened to
fly by so I shot them ...

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2.jpg full frame
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2_detail.jpg detail of previous
image
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_3_nest.jpg
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_4.jpg look closely to see the
tongue
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_5.jpg background too cluttered
near beak and light is slightly off-angle, detracting from the image
quality.

Keep at it, the more you shoot the better you will get. And work at
getting the angle of the light more favorable.

Bill
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:39:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

From: "Bill Hilton" <bhilton...@aol.com> -

>http://members.aol.com/bhilton­665/humm_3_nest.jpg

Awesome shot, Bill!
The hummers will show up here in a few weeks. I'll be waiting.
July 4, 2005 3:28:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Frank

That was taken with a Canon Digital Rebal with a 300 mm zoom with a 2 times
matched multiplier The bird was maybe 30 feet from me at most

Mike

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Good Start!
> One of the real challenges of Bird Photography is to get close enough to
> the bird so that it occupies at least 25% of the frame.
> You can try to get physically closer to the bird or use a camera with a
> 10-12X Optical Zoom lens.
> (Think Oly 770, Panasonic FZ Series, Canon S2 etc.)
> Hummers introduce a special problem in that their bright, iridescent
> colors are not due to pigmented feathers but to refractive optical effects
> which in turn are extremely sensitive to bird/camera/sun orientation.
> Bob Williams
>
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Mike wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys
>>>
>>> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which
>>> I was trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet
>>> vine and I was fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both
>>> flying and resting. Please have a look and give me your comments.
>>> Thanks Mike
>>> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn
>>

>> Those little guys are a delight and a challenge, aren't they? Thank you
>> for the opportunity.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:03:17 AM

Mike wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which I was
> trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and I was
> fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and resting. Please
> have a look and give me your comments. Thanks Mike
>
> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn

I didn't know birds could hum - what does it sound like?

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:32:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a few "hummer" pictures, but not sure I can post them here.

;\)

From: "Bill Hilton" <bhilton...@aol.com> -

>http://members.aol.com/bhilton­665/humm_3_nest.jpg

Awesome shot, Bill!
The hummers will show up here in a few weeks. I'll be waiting.
July 4, 2005 11:55:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Beautiful shots of the 'hummers', Mr. Hilton. I hope someday to aspire to
such work. I was wondering, however, how do you attach your name to the
bottom of each picture with the "C Bill Hilton"? Thank you,
Bob

"Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote in message
news:D aadbr$804$0@pita.alt.net...
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>
>> The other suggestion is to try to isolate them a bit from the busy
>> background, if possible. I know it's easier to say this than to do it
>> but you asked and that's my input. Sometimes I can do this myself,
>> often I can't. Here are a couple of shots of hummers I took the past
>> 3 weeks while photographing other birds ... the hummers just happened
>> to fly by so I shot them ...
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_1.jpg
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2.jpg full frame
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2_detail.jpg detail of previous
>> image
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_3_nest.jpg
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_4.jpg look closely to see the
>> tongue
>
> Awesome work!

> Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com
>
> Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
> Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks

July 4, 2005 12:37:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Robert writes ...
>
>how do you attach your name to the
>bottom of each picture with the "C Bill Hilton"?

Most image editors have a Text mode which allow you to add text, often
on a separate layer ... so select that tool, then to get the © symbol
on a PC (different on a Mac) hold down the Alt key and use the numeric
keyboard to the right of the letter keys and type 0169. On the shots I
posted I picked a color that would show up well and lowered the opacity
of the text layer to around 50% using Photoshop, but the basic trick is
Alt-0169 to get the ©. If it's on a separate layer you can use the
Move tool to position it precisely, if need be.

>Beautiful shots of the 'hummers', Mr. Hilton.

Thanks (to you and Annika and Mike K), glad you liked them!

Bill
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:46:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>to get the ? symbol on a PC (different on a Mac) hold down the
>Alt key and use the numeric keyboard to the right of the letter
>keys and type 0169.

When I wrote this post I was able to type Alt-0169 and get the
copyright symbol, but now when I read it the copyright symbol is a ?
instead. Sorry for the confusion ...
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:44:14 PM

On 4 Jul 2005 08:37:40 -0700, Bill Hilton wrote:

> Most image editors have a Text mode which allow you to add text, often
> on a separate layer ... so select that tool, then to get the ?symbol
> on a PC (different on a Mac) hold down the Alt key and use the numeric
> keyboard to the right of the letter keys and type 0169.

Your instructions worked perfectly, producing the "©" (copyright)
character. But something is amiss, either with how your computer's
newsreader transmitted the same character, or how mine interpreted
it when it read in your message. Your copyright character appeared
in my newsreader as a question mark character, and when the message
was checked with a binary viewing program, I see that the question
mark character is actually a translation of the three character
sequence "=A9". When your newsreader retrieved your own message,
did you see the copyright symbol? I only mention this to alert you
to the fact that some readers may not have seen what you sent out,
and might have been a bit puzzled.

Oh - I just saw your followup, and see that we've gotten the same
result. It'll be interesting to see whether the copyright character
in this message remains when I get it back from the news server, or
if it will be similarly translated. I see that your newsreader has
been configured like so:

while mine has:

so perhaps your newsreader (G2/0.2) is configured for 7-bit
characters, which forced the translation to "=A9" when your message
was transmitted?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:40:25 PM

>ASAAR writes ...
>
>It'll be interesting to see whether the copyright character
>in this message remains when I get it back from the news server,
>or if it will be similarly translated.

I see the correct symbol in *your* post, I saw the correct symbol when
I typed my post with instructions, but when I read my posted answer I
just saw ? ... hey, Google is free so I'm not complaining. What's
important is that I see the right symbol when I type Alt-0169 in
Photoshop text I guess ...

July 4, 2005 7:42:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Bill

Thanks for the comments.Those photos are taken at about 7:30 pm with the sun
at my right hand side, where the shed and vine are to get the light behind
me I would have to have been in my neighbours yard. This was also my first
attempt at this and as you say I will keeep on trying and hopefully
improving. Your shots are awesome. How do you put the copyright etc on your
images that is something I would certainly like to do.

Thanks again
Mike

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Mike writes ...
>>
>>In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and I was
>>fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and resting.
>>Please have a look and give me your comments.
>
> I would offer two suggestions ... one is to try to get a more pleasing
> angle with the light. What you have in several of these is about 3/4
> backlighting, for this type of shot ideally you'd want the light right
> over your shoulder and at a low angle ("point your shadow at the bird"
> as one pro says). I often shoot from 6 AM to 8 AM and then quit
> because the light is getting too high and a bit hot where I live, for
> example, unless it's a cloudy day.
>
> The other suggestion is to try to isolate them a bit from the busy
> background, if possible. I know it's easier to say this than to do it
> but you asked and that's my input. Sometimes I can do this myself,
> often I can't. Here are a couple of shots of hummers I took the past 3
> weeks while photographing other birds ... the hummers just happened to
> fly by so I shot them ...
>
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_1.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2.jpg full frame
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_2_detail.jpg detail of previous
> image
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_3_nest.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_4.jpg look closely to see the
> tongue
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/humm_5.jpg background too cluttered
> near beak and light is slightly off-angle, detracting from the image
> quality.
>
> Keep at it, the more you shoot the better you will get. And work at
> getting the angle of the light more favorable.
>
> Bill

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:13:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 4/7/05 1:03 am, in article 91%xe.177841$IO.51503@tornado.tampabay.rr.com,
"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod which I was
>> trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a trumpet vine and I was
>> fortunate to catch a couple of Humming Birds both flying and resting. Please
>> have a look and give me your comments. Thanks Mike
>>
>> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn
>
> I didn't know birds could hum - what does it sound like?
>
> Gary Eickmeier

hummmmmm
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:13:48 PM

Unspam wrote:
> On 4/7/05 1:03 am, in article
> 91%xe.177841$IO.51503@tornado.tampabay.rr.com, "Gary Eickmeier"
> <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> Mike wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys
>>>
>>> After my last post I took the advice given and aquired a Tripod
>>> which I was trying out today. In the corner of the yard we have a
>>> trumpet vine and I was fortunate to catch a couple of Humming
>>> Birds
>>> both flying and resting. Please have a look and give me your
>>> comments. Thanks Mike
>>>
>>> The link is :- http://community.webshots.com/album/384359446xHupVn
>>
>> I didn't know birds could hum - what does it sound like?
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier
>

> hummmmmm

Hm.

Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face for
fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t t
t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum as
opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
days.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>Unspam wrote:
>> On 4/7/05 1:03 am, in article
>> 91%xe.177841$IO.51503@tornado.tampabay.rr.com, "Gary Eickmeier"
>> <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>>> I didn't know birds could hum - what does it sound like?
>>>
>>> Gary Eickmeier
>>

>> hummmmmm
>
>Hm.
>
>Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face for
>fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t t
>t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum as
>opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>days.

Hummingbirds flap at about 50 beats per second.
That's 25 downstrokes, and 25 upstrokes a second.
So it's pretty low (not all that far from a 60Hz buzz).

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
<frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:

>Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face for
>fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t t
>t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum as
>opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>days.

3.8 Mhz? Sure that isn't kHz? Otherwise you have quite remarkable hearing
to say the least! :-)
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
July 5, 2005 11:39:02 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
> <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:
>

>> Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face
>> for
>> fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t
>> t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum
>> as
>> opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>> days.
>
> 3.8 Mhz? Sure that isn't kHz? Otherwise you have quite remarkable
> hearing to say the least! :-)
> ----------

oop s s s s s s s
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:11:57 PM

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face for
> >fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t t
> >t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum as
> >opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
> >days.
> >
> >--
> >Frank ess
> >

> I trust that was an inadvertent choice of upper frequency of your
> hearing, or maybe a typo.
>
> Hmm --- 3.8MHz???
>
> Olin McDaniel

Bet not, if Frank has a couple a years on him like I do. When I left
the machine shop after twenty years for something more quiet, the only
highs I have left are in my tinnitus. Maybe that's why we take
pictures? Wasn't it the Eagles in "Desperado" that mentioned that? ;o)
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:36:40 PM

Kitt wrote:
> Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face
>>> for
>>> fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t
>>> t t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the
>>> eardrum as opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at
>>> 3.8MHz these days.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frank ess
>>>

>> I trust that was an inadvertent choice of upper frequency of your
>> hearing, or maybe a typo.
>>
>> Hmm --- 3.8MHz???
>>
>> Olin McDaniel
>

> Bet not, if Frank has a couple a years on him like I do. When I
> left
> the machine shop after twenty years for something more quiet, the
> only
> highs I have left are in my tinnitus. Maybe that's why we take
> pictures? Wasn't it the Eagles in "Desperado" that mentioned that?
> ;o)

Like attention for some (you know who you are), any kind of highs are
better than no highs at all.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

wrote:

>Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face for
>fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t t
>t t t t " _very_ fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum as
>opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>days.
>
>--
>Frank ess

I trust that was an inadvertent choice of upper frequency of your
hearing, or maybe a typo.

Hmm --- 3.8MHz???

Olin McDaniel
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:20:32 AM

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:39:03 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Last spring one of them hovered about a foot in front of my face
>> for
>> fifteen seconds. To me it sounded like " fd t t t t t t t t t t t t
>> t t t t " very fast. Mosre like a series of blows to the eardrum
>> as
>> opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>> days.
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess
>>

> I trust that was an inadvertent choice of upper frequency of your
> hearing, or maybe a typo.
>
> Hmm --- 3.8MHz???
>
> Olin McDaniel

<quote>
>> opposed to push-pulls. Of course my hearing stops at 3.8MHz these
>> days.
>
> 3.8 Mhz? Sure that isn't kHz? Otherwise you have quite remarkable
> hearing to say the least!

oop s s s s s s s
</quote>

Some days I feel M years old, but I'm sure it isn't more than K.

--
Frank ess
!