dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
Is there that big a difference between an OEM and retail? I'm not sure if I should buy an IBM deskstar oem or retail. If anyone has any helpful advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I'm pretty sure that OEM means that it doesn't come with a warranty. OEM are the drives meant for companies that build computers for people, who would then have their own warranty on the computer and it's parts.

Retail is for people like us, who are building our own computers and/or adding parts onto our existing computers. They give you a warranty from the original manufacturer (e.g. IBM, Western Digital, etc.)

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

G

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer.
Whatever that means.
Normally, if you buy an OEM you get the bare essentials. Say if you buy a retail CD-ROM, you would normally get the fixing screws and maybe a EIDE cable thrown in. With the same CD-ROM drive but this time the OEM version, you probably wont.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A lot of companies will offer their own warranty on OEM hard drives. For example, a company in my area serves the first year warranty on IBM drives, and IBM will cover for 2 more years after that. They'll serve the one-year warranty for any drive.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

If you purchase an OEM drive, chances are it will only come with a 90 warrenty. They most often are sold to manufactuers, at a cheaper price, who then give their own warrenties. Retail drives are sold to the public and come with a full manufactuer warrenty, but the prices are normally higher, but you get a 1-3 year warrenty vs. 90 days.

If it works...<b>keep the <font color=red>USERS</font color=red> from using it!!</b>

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
A lot of the companies on pricewatch offer the 3 year warranty which is why I'm considering an OEM. If they didn't I wouldn't even think of getting one.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Be sure to check how reputable the company is first though - otherwise, there isn't really any warranty.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you get the same warranty for OEM drive as the Retail one. My friend brought an OEM WD hard drive and the drive died in 3 month. She get a replcement from WD.

G

Ok as a basis for my comments I worked for Ingram Micro (a large distributor of computer products) for a few years.

You usually get the same warranty with OEM or Retail, the manufacturer must state if there is a difference.
For instance in the case of Seagate and Quantum, IDE HDD's in OEM form had a 3 year warranty (SCSI had 5yr). OEM drives were sold to resellers, retailers, system builders etc, they then can advertise this 3 year warranty or use it in combination with their own warranty.
This means that the end user basically applies for a replacement drive to whomever they bought it off. The application works it's way back up the channel eventually reaching the manufacturer. By this stage the retailer should have supplied a replacement drive to the customer.

With HDD's there is no physical difference between OEM and Retail drive. With Retail you are paying extra for the box, cables and software (if there is any)

From my experience IBM offer excellent warranty's and servicing, you won't be sorry buying their HDD.

G

I've never seen an IBM 60GXP drive in retail wrapping. Everywhere, it seems to be sold OEM only. Now, IBM 75GXP drives do exist in retail, but 75GXP is going away. Why bother with an older version?

Leo