Windows Xp and 2000 login screen wallpaper

Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?

I've had a look around but with no luck.

Thanks in advance

Simon
10 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 login screen wallpaper

    You can run regedit.exe and edit the following Reg_Sz string values;

    "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
    (activate screen saver)

    "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="900"
    (time in seconds before activation)

    "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"
    (path to screen saver)

    found at
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Simonglencross" wrote:
    | Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
    | Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?
    |
    | I've had a look around but with no luck.
    |
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | Simon

    Dave,

    These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen saver? or
    are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change the
    default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?

    Thanks for your help!

    Simon
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > You can run regedit.exe and edit the following Reg_Sz string values;
    >
    > "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
    > (activate screen saver)
    >
    > "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="900"
    > (time in seconds before activation)
    >
    > "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"
    > (path to screen saver)
    >
    > found at
    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Simonglencross" wrote:
    > | Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
    > | Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?
    > |
    > | I've had a look around but with no luck.
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance
    > |
    > | Simon

    Sorry I misread. Any background you can set while logged on will work.
    Change it, then check the Reg_Sz string value of
    "Wallpaper"
    found at
    HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

    Then copy the string to

    "Simonglencross" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |

    | These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen saver?
    or
    | are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change the
    | default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?
    |
    | Thanks for your help!
    |
    | Simon

    Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
    changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any ideas?

    Thanks

    > Sorry I misread. Any background you can set while logged on will work.
    > Change it, then check the Reg_Sz string value of
    > "Wallpaper"
    > found at
    > HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
    >
    > Then copy the string to
    > "Wallpaper"
    > found at
    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Simonglencross" wrote:
    > | Dave,
    > |

    > | These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen
    > saver?
    > or
    > | are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change
    > the
    > | default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?
    > |
    > | Thanks for your help!
    > |
    > | Simon

    Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when no
    one is logged on. Also the path must be local.

    --

    "Simonglencross" wrote:
    | Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
    | changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
    ideas?

    | Thanks
    |
    | Simon

    Ok,
    went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed the
    following keys....

    wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
    wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
    tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0

    how does that look?

    > Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when no
    > one is logged on. Also the path must be local.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Simonglencross" wrote:
    > | Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
    > | changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
    > ideas?
    > |

    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Simon

    This link may also help you.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/93239.asp

    --

    "Simonglencross" wrote:
    | Ok,
    | went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed
    the
    | following keys....
    |
    | wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
    | wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
    | tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0
    |
    | how does that look?
    |

    | Simon

    Dave!!!!

    Sorry I was working on someone elses computer and they have Xp home and he
    uses the family logon screen, disabled this and it's there! just one last
    thing if you dont mind, is there a way to position the image lower down the
    screen as apposed to dead center???

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Regards

    Simon

    "Simonglencross" <simon_glencross@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ok,
    > went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed
    > the following keys....
    >
    > wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
    > wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
    > tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0
    >
    > how does that look?
    >

    > Simon
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    >> Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when
    >> no
    >> one is logged on. Also the path must be local.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >> "Simonglencross" wrote:
    >> | Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
    >> | changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
    >> ideas?
    >> |

    >> | Thanks
    >> |
    >> | Simon

    Afraid these two choices are all you get.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/34636.asp

    --

    "Simonglencross" wrote:
    | Dave!!!!
    |
    | Sorry I was working on someone elses computer and they have Xp home and he
    | uses the family logon screen, disabled this and it's there! just one last
    | thing if you dont mind, is there a way to position the image lower down
    the
    | screen as apposed to dead center???
    |
    | Thanks in advance for your help!
    |

    | Regards
    |

    | Simon
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    check out:
    http://www.bootxp.net/
    http://www.geocities.com/outersoftinc/CXP.html
    http://logonloader.danielmilner.com/
    not directly related to login screen customization, but since you're
    apparently into 'modding'
    http://bootxp.net/styleitxp/
    http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp_features.php

    have fun
    george

    > Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
    > Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?
    >
    > I've had a look around but with no luck.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Simon

Configuration Login Wallpaper Windows XP