Windows Xp and 2000 login screen wallpaper

December 13, 2004 8:00:58 PM

Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?

I've had a look around but with no luck.

Thanks in advance

Simon
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:00:59 PM

You can run regedit.exe and edit the following Reg_Sz string values;

"ScreenSaveActive"="1"
(activate screen saver)

"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="900"
(time in seconds before activation)

"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"
(path to screen saver)

found at
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Simonglencross" wrote:
| Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
| Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?
|
| I've had a look around but with no luck.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Simon

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:42:55 PM

Dave,

These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen saver? or
are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change the
default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?

Thanks for your help!

Simon
"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
news:o dkFkcT4EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You can run regedit.exe and edit the following Reg_Sz string values;
>
> "ScreenSaveActive"="1"
> (activate screen saver)
>
> "ScreenSaveTimeOut"="900"
> (time in seconds before activation)
>
> "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr"
> (path to screen saver)
>
> found at
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Simonglencross" wrote:
> | Could someone please advise me on how to customise the Wallpaper on the
> | Windows XP and 2000 login Screens?
> |
> | I've had a look around but with no luck.
> |
> | Thanks in advance
> |
> | Simon

December 13, 2004 8:42:56 PM

Sorry I misread. Any background you can set while logged on will work.
Change it, then check the Reg_Sz string value of
"Wallpaper"
found at
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

Then copy the string to

"Simonglencross" wrote:
| Dave,
|

| These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen saver?
or
| are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change the
| default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?
|
| Thanks for your help!
|
| Simon
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:46:55 PM

Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any ideas?

Thanks

> Sorry I misread. Any background you can set while logged on will work.
> Change it, then check the Reg_Sz string value of
> "Wallpaper"
> found at
> HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> Then copy the string to
> "Wallpaper"
> found at
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Simonglencross" wrote:
> | Dave,
> |

> | These instructions which you have given me are they for the screen
> saver?
> or
> | are they for the default initial logon screen? I am wanting to change
> the
> | default initial logon screen. Can I use a bitmap image?
> |
> | Thanks for your help!
> |
> | Simon

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:46:56 PM

Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when no
one is logged on. Also the path must be local.

--

"Simonglencross" wrote:
| Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
| changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
ideas?

| Thanks
|
| Simon
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:53 PM

Ok,
went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed the
following keys....

wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0

how does that look?

> Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when no
> one is logged on. Also the path must be local.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Simonglencross" wrote:
> | Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
> | changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
> ideas?
> |

> | Thanks
> |
> | Simon

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:54 PM

This link may also help you.

"Simonglencross" wrote:
| Ok,
| went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed
the
| following keys....
|
| wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
| wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
| tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0
|
| how does that look?
|

| Simon
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:28:34 PM

Dave!!!!

Sorry I was working on someone elses computer and they have Xp home and he
uses the family logon screen, disabled this and it's there! just one last
thing if you dont mind, is there a way to position the image lower down the
screen as apposed to dead center???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards

Simon

"Simonglencross" <simon_glencross@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok,
> went in to regedit, HKEY_USERS,DEFAULT,CONTROLPANEL,DESKTOP and changed
> the following keys....
>
> wallpaper REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\LAKESIDE.BMP
> wallpaperstyke REG_SZ 0
> tilewallpaper REG_SZ 0
>
> how does that look?
>

> Simon
>

> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>> Post what you did so we can see. The wallpaper would have been for when
>> no
>> one is logged on. Also the path must be local.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Simonglencross" wrote:
>> | Ummm, does'nt seem to have worked when I log back on after making the
>> | changes the initial login wallpaper is still the standard blue?? any
>> ideas?
>> |

>> | Thanks
>> |
>> | Simon

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:28:35 PM

Afraid these two choices are all you get.

"Simonglencross" wrote:
| Dave!!!!
|
| Sorry I was working on someone elses computer and they have Xp home and he
| uses the family logon screen, disabled this and it's there! just one last
| thing if you dont mind, is there a way to position the image lower down
the
| screen as apposed to dead center???
|
| Thanks in advance for your help!
|

| Regards
|

| Simon
December 13, 2004 11:38:50 PM

check out:
http://www.bootxp.net/
http://www.geocities.com/outersoftinc/CXP.html
http://logonloader.danielmilner.com/
not directly related to login screen customization, but since you're
apparently into 'modding'
http://bootxp.net/styleitxp/
http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp_features.php

have fun