Sign in with
Your question

Processor For Windows XP SP3 (Version 2002)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2012 12:33:25 AM

Hey everybody, I just had a quick question about upgrading the toaster I currently own. My laptop, which wasn't that good to begin with, was stolen and I had to dig up an old computer I found in my basement. It's Windows XP SP3 (Version 2002), currently with an AMD Sempron Processor 3200+ (1.8GHz), and has the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics card and memory of 2.68GB (was 512mb but I upgraded that already). Not sure if any of the info except the processor was important but, there you go. Now my question, is there an affordable processor that will work with my rig that will make a noticable difference? For example, I can play League of Legends but everything (character/effects/environment) has to be on low quality. Now I don't mind that but it still only runs between 5 and 20 FPS. Same with Minecraft. Maybe it has to with something else? Graphics card? Help would be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone willing to assist in advance.

More about : processor windows sp3 version 2002

a c 914 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 12:43:44 AM

What socket? If AM2 then a cheap dual core from ebay, if older nothing is worth it.
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 12:54:35 AM

AMD Sempron X2 2300 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor SDO2300IAA4DO - OEM
If you could get your hands on this cpu it would be a boost to what you have now and it looks like it would fit the AM 2 socket which is what the socket type cpu that you now have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Sempron-X2-2300-DeskTop-CPU...

This is the only place that I could find one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 914 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 12:58:47 AM

Why go Sempron when 3.0GHz Athlon X2 exist? In all reality the integrated Graphics suck and a GPU would be needed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 1:32:04 AM

Hi :) 

I SERIOUSLY doubt is socket AM2 ...ITS PROBABLY socket A ...

No way a dual core will run in it...

Just increase the ram, its about all you can do to speed it up..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 1:32:23 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I SERIOUSLY doubt is socket AM2 ...ITS PROBABLY socket A ...

No way a dual core will run in it...

Just increase the ram, its about all you can do to speed it up..

All the best Brett :) 

Here is a link that you can see for yourslf what socket it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Sempron_microp...
m
l
a c 914 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 1:37:26 AM

Can be socket 939 as well and the GeForce 6150LE was available on that platform as well!
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:36:46 AM

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. Is there any easy way to check the socket type? The Athlon X2 looked pretty good but would it work with my comp? Would I also need a new mobo or graphics card or GPU? Thanks again.

EDIT: I've been getting a friend to work on this problem as well, and he says for my needs (nothing more intensive than playing LOL at 30FPS) and GPU is all I need. Should that work? Does anyone have any recommended GPUs?
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 3:22:50 AM

You can upgrade your gpu to a point and then your cpu becomes a bottleneck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This card could be a good choice.

It would be a better idea to upgrade the Pc with a new motherboard , cpu , ram and video card. If you were to set a budget amount for this what could you come up with for a total bnudget amount?
m
l
!