Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$600 portable gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 8, 2012 4:01:36 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: End on may

Budget Range: under $600 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly gaming (wow, gw2, bfbc2) and daily use

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and microcenter (I live near one)

Country: U.S.

Parts Preferences: working ones

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Here is what I have come up with so far

case- Nzxt vulcan
motherboard- ASRock H61M/U3S3
CPU- i3 2100
GPU- Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 or MSI N460GTX
ram- G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB)
PSU- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
HDD+Dvd burner Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32mb cache + ASUS 24X DVD Burner
extra fans- COOLER MASTER 120mm
COOLER MASTER 92mm

I'm not sure if it would be ok to skimp a little on the gpu. From what I have seen the 460 isn't too far behind the 6870 and it costs $60 less, and the 460 I picked is already oc'd. If I were to go with the 460 I could also go up to an i5 2400, but I'm not even sure that I would need the i5 so I might just stay with the i3 if the 460 is ok. I like the motherboard that I picked too because it has sata3 so I can get an ssd later and get the most out of it. I also want to keep the case so I can bring my pc with me to my friend's house.
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:20:40 AM

brongarago said:
Approximate Purchase Date: End on may

Budget Range: under $600 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly gaming (wow, gw2, bfbc2) and daily use

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and microcenter (I live near one)

Country: U.S.

Parts Preferences: working ones

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Here is what I have come up with so far

case- Nzxt vulcan
motherboard- ASRock H61M/U3S3
CPU- i3 2100
GPU- Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 or MSI N460GTX
ram- G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB)
PSU- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
HDD+Dvd burner Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32mb cache + ASUS 24X DVD Burner
extra fans- COOLER MASTER 120mm
COOLER MASTER 92mm

I'm not sure if it would be ok to skimp a little on the gpu. From what I have seen the 460 isn't too far behind the 6870 and it costs $60 less, and the 460 I picked is already oc'd. If I were to go with the 460 I could also go up to an i5 2400, but I'm not even sure that I would need the i5 so I might just stay with the i3 if the 460 is ok. I like the motherboard that I picked too because it has sata3 so I can get an ssd later and get the most out of it. I also want to keep the case so I can bring my pc with me to my friend's house.


get the i3-2125 if you can for $20 more, better bang for the buck.

everything else will run the games you specified quite well :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:23:11 AM

bigcyco1 said:
If i was you i do this get the gtx460 and the Intel Core i5 2500k ;)  i would get this motherboard instead MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and later on when you can afford it get another msi gtx 460 and sli ;) 

no offense, the OP is building a micro set up to take to LAN parties. that board is too big and a SLI set up would turn it into an oven.
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:37:03 AM

BTW, i did just notice the 460 you picked has 192 bit memory bandwidth. the other 460s have 256 like the 6870 you posted. comparing the 460 and 6870 you posted get the 6870.
Share
May 8, 2012 5:38:55 AM

bigcyco1 said:
If i was you i do this get the gtx460 and the Intel Core i5 2500k ;)  i would get this motherboard instead MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and later on when you can afford it get another msi gtx 460 and sli ;) 

I really want to stick with the matx build so It will be easier to lug around. I also don't want to go with the i5 because that would put me over budget with the 6870. I think I will stick with the 6870 since I am going with only one card.
@looniam I will try getting the i3 2125 but is the extra .2ghz really going to make much of a difference?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:41:10 AM

honestly, not really just turns out a better Ghz/$ ratio. i really wasn't thinking right. my i3-2120 (w/o hd 3000) is only $5 more for .2Ghz.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 5:46:56 AM

Dang, I wish microcenter had a wider selection of cpus. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 dollars for the 2120, but it seems a little hard to justify it for $20. Thanks for the help!
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 8, 2012 5:48:00 AM

yeah but what cpus microcenter has are CHEAP!

your welcome.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 5:49:39 AM

Best answer selected by brongarago.
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 6:30:40 AM

brongarago said:
I really want to stick with the matx build so It will be easier to lug around. I also don't want to go with the i5 because that would put me over budget with the 6870. I think I will stick with the 6870 since I am going with only one card.
@looniam I will try getting the i3 2125 but is the extra .2ghz really going to make much of a difference?

That's cool it's your build and not a bad choice i was only suggesting as long as your happy that''s all that matters! ;) 
m
0
l
May 8, 2012 6:34:17 AM

Anonymous said:
no offense, the OP is building a micro set up to take to LAN parties. that board is too big and a SLI set up would turn it into an oven.
No offense taken to each their own i also missed that they were not 256 and i am tired and did not read what the OP said right so he make the right choice :) 
m
0
l
!