Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II 965 X4 BE with M4A785T-M/CSM good or bad idea?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2012 1:29:21 AM

Hey there, this is my first post, so please excuse my inept noobish question here.

I'm not very experienced with building and upgrading computers, and so I assume that I can trust you guys a lot better than myself aimlessly taking chances with my money. Anyway, I'm looking at purchasing an AMD Phenom II 965 X4 BE for my oldschool Asus M4A785T-M/CSM motherboard, but am unsure if this CPU is too demanding for this board to handle. Through a little research, I found out that the 965's TDM is set at 125W, which is also the limit which my motherboard can handle. So, with that said, I'm unsure if this combination is such a good idea, considering that I intend for my rig to last a few more years at least... without burning out something. Heat will most likely not be a problem with the CPU, considering that I'm currently using a Coolermaster V8, with good airflow in the case. Anyway, input or suggestions of any sort would be very much appreciated, just for me to know if this is an absolutely abhorrent idea, or if not a possible upgrade for my rig.

Thanks for reading,

FGP

More about : phenom 965 m4a785t csm good bad idea

August 24, 2012 1:45:31 AM

Everything will be just fine, that board was made to handle your cpu and every other 125w Phenom II quad out there. You should have no problems what so ever. If the board says it can power a 125w cpu then that's what it was built to do.
August 24, 2012 1:48:32 AM

Yeah, no problem here. AMD doesn't make consumer CPUs with a higher TDP than 125W which is why the board is rated the way it is.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 2:16:14 AM

aicom said:
Yeah, no problem here. AMD doesn't make consumer CPUs with a higher TDP than 125W which is why the board is rated the way it is.

Not quite true. There is a 140W 965BE... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course, in saying that, the only 965's you can still find are 125W.

But yes, OP, you should be just fine with the 125W 965.
August 24, 2012 2:39:17 AM

Hah! I never knew that. Even Bulldozer doesn't touch TDPs higher than 125W.
August 24, 2012 6:12:25 PM

Thanks guys for all of your intuitive responses, I'm definitely buying this Phenom II X4 965 BE now without any worries. Will be quite an improvement over my Athlon II X3 435 Rana (preclocked to a displeasing 2.9 GHz) to receive this upgrade. Ah yeah, I'm quite aware of there being a 140W TDP version of the CPU for some reason, but will make sure to purchase the right one for my rig.

Cheers,

FGP
!