CD directory

December 13, 2004 4:38:05 PM

I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
having to type all the entries.
Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
individual files not folders that contain them.
What do you suggest? Thanks,
Bill

--

More about : directory

December 13, 2004 10:29:14 PM

Google for *printfolder*

HTH

"Bill W." <wielert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
> having to type all the entries.
> Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
> copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
> individual files not folders that contain them.
> What do you suggest? Thanks,
> Bill

December 14, 2004 9:16:22 AM

"Bill W." <wielert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
| I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
| having to type all the entries.
| Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
| copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
| individual files not folders that contain them.
| What do you suggest? Thanks,
| Bill

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp Directory Printer
(choose print to file)
December 14, 2004 1:21:30 PM

Attached is a VBScript that generate the shell properties (what you see or could see in Explorer). It is a 51 column csv. There is about 40 properties on a standard XP and I've allowed about 10 columns for custom properties that applications may add. Those whove seen it before this one automatically finds the desktop rather than editing the script. To use, drop a folder on it or place in Sendto and send a folder to it. If using the for command (below) you must run it once whereever you put it so it can be found.

To do sub folders type in a command prompt in the folder that you want to start in (It also does the parent folder - a quirk of For)
for /r %A in (.) do start "" /w "PrintDetailsAppend" "%~dpA"

It creates a file on the desktop called Folder Property List.txt

Copy the following line into a text document and rename it to PrintDetailsAppend.vbs

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Wscript.ScriptName & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Left(Wscript.ScriptName, Len(Wscript.ScriptName)-3) & "exe" & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)

Set Fldr=objShell.NameSpace(Ag(0))

Set FldrItems=Fldr.Items

Set DeskFldr=objShell.Namespace(16)
FName=fso.buildpath(DeskFldr.self.path, "Folder Property List.txt")

Set ts = fso.OpenTextFile(FName, 8, vbtrue)

For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(vbnull, x) & " (Shell)" & vbtab
Next
ts.write FLDR.self.path &vbcrlf
ts.Write T1 & vbcrlf
T1=""

For Each FldrItem in FldrItems
For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(FldrItem, x) & vbtab
Next
t1=t1 & vbcrlf
ts.Write T1
T1=""
Next

http://www.uscricket.com
"Bill W." <wielert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:e3L%23jLU4EHA.4060@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
> having to type all the entries.
> Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
> copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
> individual files not folders that contain them.
> What do you suggest? Thanks,
> Bill

December 14, 2004 6:58:22 PM

Try
go to the dos prompt, navigate to the directory the type

dir/s > filename.txt

The hit enter
The file list will be in filename.txt

"Bill W." <wielert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
> having to type all the entries.
> Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
> copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
> individual files not folders that contain them.
> What do you suggest? Thanks,
> Bill

December 14, 2004 6:58:23 PM

thanks, i've benn looking for smth like this for a lonk time...
is there any way it prints only what's in the folder, not also all
subfoolders???

thanks

"baudwalker" <barry@intercomp.com.au> wrote in message
> Try
> go to the dos prompt, navigate to the directory the type
>
> dir/s > filename.txt
>
> The hit enter
> The file list will be in filename.txt
>

> "Bill W." <wielert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>I would like to make a file directory of my CD and DVD contents without
>> having to type all the entries.
>> Making a Printscreen shot of them is kinda bulky and I could not select,
>> copy and paste them into a file since it would only copy and paste
>> individual files not folders that contain them.
>> What do you suggest? Thanks,
>> Bill
>>
>> --

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:02:55 AM

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. I'm on my way now.
Bill
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:34:29 AM

"myha" <miha.petkovsek@gmail.com> wrote:
| thanks, i've benn looking for smth like this for a lonk time...
| is there any way it prints only what's in the folder, not also all
| subfoolders???

Open a cmd window, navigate to the directory, then type

dir > filename.txt
Enter

The file list will be in filename.txt

REFERENCE:
Start
Run
C:\WINDOWS\hh.exe "ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm"
Scroll down to DIR
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:34:30 AM

Thank you very much!!!!