Overclocking And Shutdowns

53kyle

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,
I have a desktop with an intel core 2 quad q6600 that I have been trying to overclock it (I know, it is old) but whenever I try, it shuts down once windows has logged in. Oddly, it fixed other errors such as the "blah blah blah, press f1 to resume", it boots faster, and it restarts normally, whereas it used to shut down instead and I would have to unplug it and plug it back in to boot it up. I really want it overclocked because I want minecraft to run better. My graphics card died and I don't want to buy one. I have been using onboard graphics which are ok, but my one year older MacBook with gma 950 graphics runs better. Can someone guide me through overclocking this processor and memory (8 gb ddr2 1066 mhz) on an ASUS p5k board?

@53kyle

Many today are now attempting to overclock their 775 CPUs, not realizing what's critically missing to do it.

The past great overclocks with the Q6600 were in direct correlation to the motherboards overclocking capabilities of which the ASUS P5K wasn't at the top of the list.

The best of the best overclocking motherboards are just not available anymore, and if you find one on Ebay, you can build an entire new machine for the asking price.

Seeing as how the Q6600 is a locked multiplier CPU your overclocking options are raising the FSB and juggling the many voltages it takes to compensate and stabilize, Vcore, VTT, PLL, GTL, etc..

Henydiah's provided link is definitely where you should begin learning how to overclock the Q6600 since it was written based on Intel chipset, and discover what BIOS adjusting overclocking settings you need to do it, VS, the BIOS setting features you have available to you.

This review of the Striker II Extreme one of the best overclockers of the day, is not related at all to your motherboard because of the Nvidia chipset, but the BIOS section goes into detail in the Complete BIOS Tuning Guide, in the review it explains features you may, or may not have available to you with your motherboard, and what they do.

Your motherboard manual is very limited detailing what you do and do not have available regarding BIOS settings, because you have to select Manual, to have those adjustable features become visible.

What some of us did in that day was use faster speed memory past the listed motherboard specs so we could increase the FSB using the extra memory speed capability to our advantage, but not every motherboard would run the higher speed memory.

The information gained allowed me to overclock my Q9550 to 4.0ghz, overclocking these Core2 quads is not easy get ready to go back to overclocking 101, no matter how much you think you know, but if your motherboard does not have the BIOS adjusting capabilities you need, you'll only get so far.

I'm not trying to confuse you here just give you enough solid info so you can discover why the shutdowns are happening, your overclock has to be completely fine tuned, or stability is just an illusion.