Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual Xeon X5's or Core i7 3960X

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 24, 2012 4:52:09 AM

A friend of mine is planning on building a new gaming pc and money is not an issue for him. He was considering getting an EVGA Classified SR-X with dual intel e5 2690s, 96gb of RAM, and quad sli gtx 680's.

Would this build be optimized for gaming, or would getting an overclocked extreme edition i7 3960X with somewhat similar specs be better for a gaming rig?

More about : dual xeon core 3960x

a b à CPUs
August 24, 2012 4:57:36 AM

You don't need Xeon's for gaming, period.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 5:25:21 AM

Or even i7's really, why 96gb of ram?? This must be the #1 overkill sytem for gaming needs.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 7:17:12 AM

If money no object, then why not.
It may not be used however, same as you'd never need the power of a Ferrari for driving on public roads.
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2012 7:27:49 AM

LOL, Yeah, a 3570K with 16GB of RAM and just two 680's would be as much as he'll need for gaming, for a LONG time (probably until it's time to upgrade the whole system again).

If he REALLY wants to overkill it, a 3960X with the quad 680's would do the trick (and I mean INSANE overkill), but seriously try to steer him away from the dual Xeon's and 96GB of RAM. That's just throwing money away for no benefits at all in gaming.

Edit: And I'll add this too: If he has sights on "future proofing", tell him to forget it. That won't ever happen. The next time he needs to upgrade will be nearly the same, whether it's with a 3570K and two 680's or the monstrosity of a system that he's contemplating.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 1:03:37 PM

proton007 said:
If money no object, then why not.
It may not be used however, same as you'd never need the power of a Ferrari for driving on public roads.


I just don't see the point in that.

Why waste all that money for somthing you never use? Firt, quad SLI is pointless, the gains after the 2nd GPU are never as good as just having two, on ANY graphics card.

Second, if he wants to game and thats it, go with the 3960K. There is no point in him buying Xeon's unless he wants to start working on the next Star Wars movie at home.

As for the RAM, spend less on the amount, spend more on the speed if he wants to spend money.

Also, if money is no object he should save the quad SLI and the dual Xeon's and start looking into straight solid state drives for his new build. I mean if he has the money.
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
August 25, 2012 4:10:55 PM

tylerb143 said:
A friend of mine is planning on building a new gaming pc and money is not an issue for him. He was considering getting an EVGA Classified SR-X with dual intel e5 2690s, 96gb of RAM, and quad sli gtx 680's.

Would this build be optimized for gaming, or would getting an overclocked extreme edition i7 3960X with somewhat similar specs be better for a gaming rig?


That machine would do well at gaming but really no better than an i5-3570K with 8 GB of RAM and one GTX670 unless he has an absolutely monster multi-monitor setup. In that case getting one or at most two GTX680s would be enough. He would use 3-4 cores on one of the E5-2690s while the others idle, have about 3% of his RAM actively being used, and the GPUs would be pretty much just idling along. That machine would however be a kick-butt unit for doing HPC number crunching with the large amount of fast CPU cores, RAM, and the large GPGPU capabilities of the four GTX680s.

If he does a lot of video editing he may want the two Xeons as more cores = better with video editing. He won't need a bunch of RAM- I'd say get 32 GB as he will need 8 sticks and there isn't much price difference between 2 GB and 4 GB sticks, but there is between 4 GB and 8 GB modules. He would do well to invest well in two good monitors like any of the 27" 2560x1440 IPS units and have a good hard drive array in RAID10 (and a NAS to back up to!)

If he is a distributed computing guy who wants to go from zero to hero in a jiffy and that's why he wants a massive machine, have him keep the the GTX680s and swap out the SR-X and two Xeons for something like the Supermicro H8QGL with four 16-core Opteron 6200s. He will want to water cool that beast and use a case that can fit the abnormally huge motherboard as well as two stout PSUs. Oh, and he will need a copy of Windows Server for that as well- the ~$500 HPC Edition will suffice. If he wants to go that route he will have to do a lot of work as making a quad-socket machine is not for the faint of heart but it is doable. I can provide advice on quads, and so can many of the people in the DC section at [H].
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 1:13:15 PM

My question is, how the heck are you going to PROPERLY power all of that? I mean thats, what 2k watts minimum? (i believe in provding more power than is needed, generally works better with electronics than getting 'just enough' power ..you know the whole dynamic headroom theory) I doub that will even post unless u have 1.5k watts..

4 680s, 2 xeons, 96gb ram. I just upgraded a dell r610 server, put dual e5620 xeons, 80GB ram and it wouldnt even post without the 718W powersupply (as opposed to a 505w). This is before we add in 4 very very power hungry video cards...
m
0
l
a c 99 à CPUs
November 8, 2012 11:26:54 PM

Tapeworms said:
My question is, how the heck are you going to PROPERLY power all of that? I mean thats, what 2k watts minimum? (i believe in provding more power than is needed, generally works better with electronics than getting 'just enough' power ..you know the whole dynamic headroom theory) I doub that will even post unless u have 1.5k watts..


I know people who run those kinds of machines and the at the wall power draw for board, 16 sticks of RAM, and four CPUs is about 500-700 watts depending on the exact CPUs and setup. You don't want to run a PSU at 100% for a long period of time but PSUs are designed to be run at between about 1/3 and 2/3 capacity. You'd want something more along the lines of a 1000 W PSU not a 2000 W unit. And that's what the folks that run these units use.

Quote:
4 680s, 2 xeons, 96gb ram. I just upgraded a dell r610 server, put dual e5620 xeons, 80GB ram and it wouldnt even post without the 718W powersupply (as opposed to a 505w). This is before we add in 4 very very power hungry video cards...


Proprietary machines, especially servers, are finicky beasts. The quad Opteron units are not proprietary and will work with pretty much any halfway decent PSU of anywhere near a suitable size (see above.) I have a Supermicro H8QGL that runs very nicely on a Thermaltake 850 watt unit.
m
0
l
!