HD 6870, psu question

Hello,

I've been advised for a decent upgrade to buy a 6870 which i was about to do but then I was told I need 2 6 pin connectors on the psu. I've had a look at my psu and it would appear to only have 1. Is there an adaptor i could use to be able to have the 2 connectors or would i have to replace the psu aswell?? Or is there a card that is still going to be a decent upgrade from a 4800 series (not sure of exact model) that only uses one connector??

thanks in advance for any help :)

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about 6870 question
  1. The 6850 only requires one plug.

It really depends on which 4800 series card you have. For instance, if you have a 4870, neither card would be an upgrade in speed.

Also assuming you have a decent quality 500w PSU to run the newer cards. It should be at least 80 plus certified.

As for the extra 6 pin PCIe plug, you can always get an adapter like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189120
  2. The psu I have is HEC-550VP-2DE. I believe GFX card is a 4850, dxdiag says ATI radeon HD 4800 series, approx total memory 244mb.
  3. Your PSU is not the best, but should be fine. The 6870 would be the best upgrade. Just get a PSU adapter like the one I linked to.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Graphics Product