Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU only 55% in use while playing Skyrim

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 4, 2012 5:26:59 PM

why does my gpu only 55% of its power for skyrim? outside it uses 55% and in town it uses 35%. does this mean my cpu is to weak and its not gicing my gpu enough power? how can i fix this



system specs

FX4100
Radeon 6790
4gb corsair ram 1600 mhz

More about : gpu playing skyrim

a c 194 U Graphics card
March 4, 2012 5:28:10 PM

What settings do you have on? If your GPU usage is low that means you can increase your graphics setting a bit more and it should still give you similar performance.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 5:37:41 PM

even with 100% everything maxed out, skyrim is not likely to use 100% GPU usage on a card like that (it has trouble doing that on a gtx 560)

skyrim benefits most from faster cores vs multiple cores, eg a very fast dual core will will run the game faster than a moderately fast quad core, which is why you see the core i3 beating many of the new AMD FX CPU's, while overall the CPU is faster, skyrim is not 100% multithreaded, certain tasks are generally restricted to a single core which is why you may see one core max out and many others at 50% and the game will not use 100% GPU usage and the game will run around 40-50FPS.


If you want faster performance, you need to overclock the CPU, (you should be able to hit over 4GHz (full time) if you have decent air cooling)
m
0
l
Related resources
March 4, 2012 5:41:48 PM

razor512 said:
even with 100% everything maxed out, skyrim is not likely to use 100% GPU usage on a card like that (it has trouble doing that on a gtx 560)

skyrim benefits most from faster cores vs multiple cores, eg a very fast dual core will will run the game faster than a moderately fast quad core, which is why you see the core i3 beating many of the new AMD FX CPU's, while overall the CPU is faster, skyrim is not 100% multithreaded, certain tasks are generally restricted to a single core which is why you may see one core max out and many others at 50% and the game will not use 100% GPU usage and the game will run around 40-50FPS.


If you want faster performance, you need to overclock the CPU, (you should be able to hit over 4GHz (full time) if you have decent air cooling)


yes i have the game on ultra settings, and i have my fx 4100 already overclocked to 4ghz. also ALL of my 4 cores are at the 60-70% range of use. i did some testing. is there any way to get my cores at 100%? all the 4 cores are even theres no one core thats at 80% and the other 3 say at 50%. all of them are at equal performance.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 7:38:56 PM

even with behavior like that, CPU limitations still show them self, for example, the game second life is single threaded, though sometimes it will either use 1 core, or 25% of 4 cores.

if you were to downclock the CPU, you will see similar characteristics with the CPU usage.

PS the bulldozer core is slower then the phenom II cores in the x4's and x6's this is because the fx CPU's do not have 4 complete cores, instead it is basically 4 incomplete cores

eg http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...

m
0
l
March 4, 2012 8:40:20 PM

razor512 said:
even with behavior like that, CPU limitations still show them self, for example, the game second life is single threaded, though sometimes it will either use 1 core, or 25% of 4 cores.

if you were to downclock the CPU, you will see similar characteristics with the CPU usage.

PS the bulldozer core is slower then the phenom II cores in the x4's and x6's this is because the fx CPU's do not have 4 complete cores, instead it is basically 4 incomplete cores

eg http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...


i see. also i tested again and it has some weird behavior but i think it makes sense. 2 of the cores were at about 60% and the other 2 were at about 40%. so if you actually add those cores up. that equals 2 full cores right. and i belive skyrim uses 2 cores. so that might make sense. also do you think the 8150 outperforms the phenom II's?
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 10:14:05 PM

the 8 core will outperform the older gen 6 core on certain tasks but overall it is slower because it has slower per core performance.

but the new FX CPU's do overclock higher, so you can probably make up for the performance difference by doing a lot of overclocking. If possible see if you can hit the average overclock of 4.6GHz
m
0
l
!