Asus M5A99X Evo/AMD FX 8150 8-Core wont POST

tab13092

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,
I just finished building my new gaming rig (my first build) and after checking all of the cables to make sure everything was plugged in/hooked up i attempted to boot it and noticed the CPU led was red and I was getting no sort of display. I checked all of my cables and removed my processor carefully to make sure none of the pins got bent etc and everything was fine and i reapplied heat transfer silicone and placed it back in. I have read that it could possibly be that my mobo BIOS isn't up to date? I being that its my first build (and my last custom built for me was intel) I have no way to go about updating the BIOS with a different AM3 processor. Any insight as to what it could possibly be or how I could go about getting the BIOS updated? (Also, I had read that some people sent theirs out to Asus for it to be updated?) Thanks tons!

tab13092

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Also, I would like to add that I read that there was a CPU power cable? Not sure if this is possibly reffering to the heatsink fan power cable, because thats the only one that i see that needs plugging it.

tab13092

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Ok, its nearly 2am here so I will probably hold off until tomorrow to tear it all back apart. I should have tested it outside of the case first :( Also, im near sure its not shorting because I have everything tucked away on the opposite panel so that no cords could be coming in contact. I have done some more digging and realized that my DDR3 RAM might be issue as well. I don't see it on the compatability chart >.> Ill repost again with light system specs to clarify things (as I just discovered it could maybe be a compatability issue)

Light System Specs
Mobo: Asus M5A99X Evo
CPU: AMD FX 8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Black Edt
Case: CM Storm Stryker
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2133MHz 240-Pin 8gb (2x4gb sticks) *May be why I can't POST*

tab13092

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Haha well, I looked up an updated compatability chart on Asus and apparently through BIOS updates I can use it with my mobo. Pretty much brings me back to square one with BIOS problem. I will check back here for more suggestions/posts tomorrow before I go ahead and call Asus to see whats up.